• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Socket 5 CPUs?

TravisHuckins

Experienced Member
After trying the new DS12887 and still no post I have come to the conclusion that my Pentium 90 might have been damaged... Are there anything with a bit more power that could fit in a socket 5 motherboard or was the 90 the highest?

Socket 5/7 is a nightmare of getting the board jumpers right and hoping the BIOS works with the CPU. I think the fastest Socket 5 Intel Pentium was either 120 MHz or 133 MHz so you might be able to get a little more speed. AMD K5 also fit into the Socket 5 and achieved similar speeds. If in doubt about the board, make sure you get a Socket 7 board which will be much more likely to work with later Pentium models. Super Socket 7 is even better but since it adds an extra ring of holes to the socket lining up the chip is that much harder.

Unfortunately, getting a different CPU might be a waste of money unless you know that board works.

Considering my Gateway 2000 P5-90 motherboard might be messed up beyond repair... the rest of the system seems fine. If anyone has a P5 motherboard I would like to know. I'm looking for something that uses modern CMOS batteries like the P5-120.

Perhaps I should ask if a P5-120 motherboard would work with a P5-90 case?

After trying the new DS12887 and still no post I have come to the conclusion that my Pentium 90 might have been damaged... Are there anything with a bit more power that could fit in a socket 5 motherboard or was the 90 the highest?
Is that what you were previously referring to as a P5 another post? Because that previous post had me really confused. :)

Well, it worked before something fell and hit the heatsink of the CPU and at the same time one of the pins broke off of the DS12887. So either the CPU is messed up or the motherboard is. I have no way of knowing which. I do know it's not the DS12887 because a new replacement arrived today and no post.

Well, it worked before something fell and hit the heatsink of the CPU and at the same time one of the pins broke off of the DS12887. So either the CPU is messed up or the motherboard is. I have no way of knowing which. I do know it's not the DS12887 because a new replacement arrived today and no post.

Well, if you want to send the MB to us, we have enough stuff around to be able to see what the problem is, with so many unknowns.

We have CPU and overdrives that should work in it.

If we can't get it going, there is no charge and the most you'd be out would be shipping in both directions.

Where are you located? Your shipping and returns page mentions Canada, I'm in the US... I don't know how much shipping would be in that case. I might just get a 'new' (and working) motherboard.

I think the fastest Socket 5 Intel Pentium was either 120 MHz or 133 MHz

There were a few different ranges offered on the Socket 5:

P5 Pentium: 75-120 MHz
Pentium Overdrive: 125-166 MHz
Pentium Overdrive MMX: 125-200 MHz
AMD k5: PR75-PR200
IDT Winchip/Winchip2: 180-240 MHz

Hmm... I just ordered a replacement Pentium 90 for like $11 Fingers crossed that it fixes my problem...

So when my new CPU gets here, would it be safe to try it without attaching a heat sink just to see if it works? Cause if the system would post I would then either attach the old CPU's heat sink or try adding a fan.

Well the new CPU got here today and the system still wouldn't post. So I'm going to have swap out the motherboard.

As I said before, I have a Gateway P5-120 Motherboard. It is the OEM version of the Intel Advanced/ZP Zappa Motherboard. It uses an AT Power Supply, and if you want to use 3.3v PCI Cards, you need a power supply with the 3.3v AUX Connector. I have left this disconnected and not had any issues with any cards except a radeon 9200. For the record, Gateway left it disconnected as well. It has a Pentium 200 in it running at 133Mhz, because thats all the board supports. It is maxed out with 128MB of EDO RAM. Supports booting from CD. Baby AT Form Factor, but has two PS/2 Ports where the big DIN port usually is. It has Two COM port Headers, 1 parallel header, you should have the cabling for that already. Intel Zappa. Rappa tappa tapppa for the intel zappa. If youre interested in buying the the zappa zappa zappa, let me know

I think your board is the Intel "Plato". Images:

https://encrypted.google.com/search...UICygC&biw=1143&bih=651#imgrc=lgzibBCVRaEgVM:

Manual: http://108.59.254.117/~mR_Slug/man/Intel/Intel_Plato.pdf

If it is this board then, your system takes a standard AT motherboard, so you can replace it with almost anything.

On the 3.3V PSU connection. Today I know those PCI slots as standard 5V slots. The 3.3V slots have the notch at the other end. But it seems these very early PCI boards also support 3.3V PCI, but in the 5V slot. Does anyone know when the spec changed? It seems that 3.3V PSU connection disappeared in '94, and 3.3V PCI only seems to have been common around the time of 64-bit PCI/PCI-X. Have I misunderstood? Could anyone elucidate?.

Yeah that looks like my motherboard! I guess I will swap it out with something that uses normal CMOS batteries. The only PCI card my system was using was an ATI Mach 64... I don't know if this is a 3.3v or 5v card but I know that my motherboard has the 3.3v connector near the PCI slots but it was not connected.

Back