• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

software for Power macintosh G3 and Power macintosh 7200/120- how to install

allmacs

Hello everyone
I have several Mac pro's (2.1-3.1 and 5.1) and I also have some vintage powermacs (a G3 and a 7200/120) One mac has OS x 7.5.5 installed the other OS 8.1
Before I forget I also have a Macintosh M0001 (but more about that one later).
I would like to install some software (games , utilities) from back of the time ~1995. But I'm having a hard time to get the installer to work. I can download all sorts of abandon ware, but if I try to use the mac pro to burn a disk.
the vintage computers can't read the format. I even installed OS leopard 10.5.6 on one of my mac pro 2.1, thinking it would write still in the old format to disks, but I guess I was wrong.
Is there a way of doing it? Do I have buy old software and that's the only way?
thank you all in advance

Even a 68k Mac with the right system extension can read CD-Rs as long as you're using ISO-9660/Joliet or High Sierra Format (HSF.) I think Mac OS X uses UDF format, which Classic Mac OS cannot read.

Try using Windows and something like CDBurnerXP, or see if Mac OS X can burn in the standards I listed.

Most Macintosh CDs use a hybrid HFS file system in addition to ISO9660. Older versions of Toast can create these discs. If you have ISO images of Macintosh software, just burning the image to a CD should work.

Honestly, using zip disks are going to be your best friend here. The drives work on practically any mac with a scsi port. I never tried usb, but I would assume they would also work without issues.

thank you for all this advise people.
I thing what I'll do is find one of these Apple EMU drives, I can use an SD card in it and download the programs straight to it and they are supposed to work on the mac...that's what they told me anyway ;)
lets see how it goes

Back