• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sol-20 programs in .wav format

Certainly a conversation to be had with either Apple or Firefox...not much I can do about it unfortunately.

Windows usually thinks a .wav file contains audio (sound). Judging from the filenames, I doubt if this is the case. What is the file content?

Are these programs files meant to be captured by a cassette recorder?

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly what these files contain...Audio.

As I don't have a disk setup for my Sol-20 (although I am looking, hint hint) I have to resort to using either serial or the cassette interface to get programs into the Sol's memory.

In this case a .ent file was loaded into the Sol's memory using a serial connection from my Macbook pro, then the contents were [SA]ved back out back to the audio in port on the Mac, and recorded using the program Audacity. I can then reload the audio files back into my Sol-20 by using my old iPod, but it will work direct from a PC, or probably any other audio player that can handle the .wav format, and of course these files can be recorded to a real cassette too.

Presently there are about 40 files I have converted, and I personally have about a 1 in 20 failure rate when reloading back to the Sol from the iPod...not bad.

Phil

Thanks. I was planning to do this and then record on cassette. Did you use the DOS program to generate the WAV files?

Hi,
I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
The WAV files were generated by recording the signal directly out of a real Sol-20.

Ok. There is a website for the SOL that has many of the software already in .ENT file format. I was going to convert that back to WAV then record to tape. That way I would have usable media for my SOL board set. So it appears you have recorded some new cassettes to .WAV. That's great!

Thanks

Ok. There is a website for the SOL that has many of the software already in .ENT file format. I was going to convert that back to WAV then record to tape. That way I would have usable media for my SOL board set. So it appears you have recorded some new cassettes to .WAV. That's great!

Thanks

There is one small memory test program that tests a specific bank of memory that I actually hand typed in (and then converted to test different banks), but otherwise most of the WAV files were converted from .ent files found on sol20.org.

So, nothing is really new except the RAM test programs. I wish I could say otherwise.

Philip

Back