• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Solaris 9 x86 - not really vintage, but certainly very obsolete - on a HP Compaq nc6000 laptop

Pepinno

Veteran Member
I happened to have a HP Compaq nc6000 laptop in pristine condition lying around, which years ago I had stored away with the intention of running some old Linux on it, some day.

This is a top of the line, business oriented, premium quality laptop from the middle 2000's. It has rounded corners and, in my opinion, it's design is quite nice looking. It has the customary blue/pink "Intel Centrino" sticker, and also a "Designed for Windows XP" one - I find them both to be Oh so beautifully dated! The machine has 512 MB RAM and a 40 GB HDD - which is ultra massive capacity for "vintage" standards, but this is not really a vintage machine, just a very wonderfully obsolete one.

So some days ago, I was taking inventory of my CD-ROM collection, and I found the four CD distribution set of Solaris 9 x86, from year 2002. And I thought: I have to bring this thing back to life - I consider Solaris 9 to be the last classic Solaris, as Solaris 10 changed very much moving to the SMF service startup scheme (a kind of systemd precursor), Zones, ZFS, and assorted bells and whistles in which I have no interest at all (I appreciate UNIX minimalism). I value the historical pre-10 Solaris, as that was the golden standard Linux strove to follow when Linux was in its infancy through all of the 90's. Solaris 7 or 8 would have been equally fine, but I thought probably Solaris 9 would have better hardware support, therefore with Solaris 9 x86 I went for this project.

So now I have this new toy with Solaris 9 x86 on it. That was my first Solaris install (but I am a long time Linux user), and you can definitely smell old-school when going through its installation procedure. I managed to get X working (after several tries with the "kdmconfg" tool) with the --very dated-- CDE graphical environment, and I also got ethernet working with the built-in wired NIC (I haven't even tried to get the Intel Centrino wifi working, as I understand that is just not supported in Solaris 9).

Getting wired ethernet working was a real struggle, as Solaris 9 doesn't come with built-in drivers for this network card (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet), but I got a working Solaris driver from here ( ftp://ftp.tyan.com/LAN/Broadcom/B57BCMCD826/Sol86/ ) and, also after several tries, I got it to "attach" which in Solaris parlance means getting the kernel driver module to see it's hardware. So I have Internet access from my new Solaris 9 toy!

20230225_Compaq-nc6000_Solaris-9-x86_.jpg

Last edited:
Also, as I was striving for a "pure" UNIX experience, during the install procedure I unselected Java and all the packages which had a dependency on Java.

Solaris 9 comes bundled with Netscape 6, but it has a dependency on Java, so I opted for not installing Netscape 6. Solaris 9 also comes with Netscape 4.78, and this one has no Java dependencies and therefore I got it installed without issues.

I'm now researching what "recent" Firefox version can be run on Solaris 9 x86, and it seems Firefox 2.0 is the higher version available... not very recent, indeed!

I am getting a little tired of this Solaris toy laptop, as the fan is always on, and I don't see any way in Solaris x86 to turn it off.

The constant fan noise becomes hard to bear after a while.... Windows XP is already nuked from the hard disk, but I don't recall the fan being always on with Windows XP. Ah, the poor hardware support of Solaris x86...

Maybe an older version of Linux might handle things better...
For sure, an old Linux of the same vintage as this laptop would even be able to use its Centrino wifi, which Solaris 9 has no drivers for.

But the fun factor in this exercise was to get Solaris 9 x86 (i.e., an official, true-blood UNIX) running and then "pushing" it to see how far I could go with it. Well, not very far with the noisy fan always on...

I've located (here: https://ftp.cae.tntech.edu/pub/solaris/patches/ ) the "Sep/14/06 Recommended Patch Cluster" for Solaris 9 x86. I'm hoping this will bring in some thermal/fan support... I'll report back.

Ok, so I am now running Firefox 2.0 on Solaris 9 x86. It looks like this is the newest Firefox available for this platform, as newer versions depend on libraries which are not in Solaris 9 and which have not been backported.

This is the download link: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox...fox-2.0.0.20.en-US.solaris8-i386-gtk1-pkg.bz2

The Firefox package does install, but it warns the system is missing several patches:
mozilla-patch-checker.png

I thought that the latest version of OpenSolaris was 11.4. Have you looked at OpenIndiana? It's based on Open Solaris and is a bit more developed.
I want to avoid the bloat of Solaris 10 and beyond. I like the classic and clean System V startup scheme, and I very much dislike the database-driven XML-ladden startup scheme of SMF. I consider Solaris 9 the last "classic" Solaris.

Solaris 9 is a keeper.

I want to avoid the bloat of Solaris 10 and beyond.

I can’t help but laugh a little at the thought of Solaris 9 *not* qualifying as “bloated”. But I guess my experiences with it were all in the context of working at mostly open-source shops (Net/FreeBSD as the main poison instead of Linux, oddly enough) but someone needed Solaris for one specific thing. Usually that specific thing also needed Sparc hardware, but we did mess with Solaris x86, and… I developed ”opinions” about it.

Actually, I recall that years ago I was a bit surprised to find that there was an x86 version of Solaris. I'd considered it to be Sparq platform only. Shows what I know... :(

Actually, I recall that years ago I was a bit surprised to find that there was an x86 version of Solaris. I'd considered it to be Sparq platform only. Shows what I know... :(

I got the impression that even most of the companies selling software for Solaris didn’t know that the x86 version existed. If you were forced to run that junk in production you were buying an immensely overpriced Sun server to do it.

(A boondoggle that went down at the FreeBSD shop years ago was a suitably placed-to-throw-bombs engineer with a huge anti-Linux chip on his shoulder pitched a gigantic hissy fit when we had to buy some multi-factor security software that was only available on Linux or Sparc Solaris; this was into the Solaris *10* era and they still didn’t support x86. Managed to force us into buying a pair of $7,000 Ultrasparc servers to run it on, they sucked… sigh.)

but someone needed Solaris for one specific thing. Usually that specific thing also needed Sparc hardware, but we did mess with Solaris x86, and… I developed ”opinions” about it.
Solaris 9 is crusty old in its userland (Bourne Shell --no command history, no line editing to be done with the arrow keys to move the cursor-- instead of Bash, and jurassic CDE as graphical environment). This is easily solved switching to the built-in Bash 2.05, and installing KDE 3.0 available in the "Companion CD for Solaris 9 x86" released by Sun itself. With that, you can use Solaris 9 without grinding your teeth and killing your nerves.

The kernel itself, well it's a System V Release 4 UNIX and therefore supports on-demand loadable kernel modules, which is nice. But it is lacking many drivers for "common" PC hardware (like wifi, sound cards, video cards, etc.). Which is understandable, as Sun's primary focus was selling SPARC hardware, not PC hardware.

Then, Solaris 9 is utterly unsecure out of the box: telnet is enabled, root login through telnet is enabled too, standard un-encrypted FTP service is enabled by default, you get the picture: a real gruyere cheese of an operating system. All those are enabled though the inetd daemon, and are easy enough to disable. Then you install OpenSSHd, and voila!, your Solaris is secured.

And don't get me talking about the ugly as hell "custom" of placing root's HOME directory in the root of the filesystem hierarchy ("/"), instead of "/root" as any clean UNX-like system does...

Anyway, Solaris 9 is a nice trip to historical UNIX, and you can get an incredible amount of focus while doing so. The newest browser is Firefox 2.0, and you ain't doing much Twitter/Facebook/Instagram with that.

bash and tcsh was available early on, not really hard to build by yourself (if you have a c compiler....)

Personally I did in fact build most of the gnu toolchain 93-94 on sunos 5.5 and got it working.
Including gnat and at least one cross-compiler tool chain (did a build of Nachos for the R3000 but running in a simulated machine on SunOS)

32 bit Debian 11, or one of it lighter derivatives such as Bunsen Labs Lithium. will install and run fine on that Tiny Core with the most resent 5.1x kernal will certainly work. It runs on my AMD K6-2 400 test rig just fine with 256megs of ram.tinycore_AMDK6_2.png

Last edited:
Why not try a newer UNIX(tm) like OpenBSD or NetBSD or FreeBSD? The two former ones work well on my AMDK6-2 400 test rig as well. FreeBSD and off shoots like MidnightBSD wouldn't even go though the installation routine.

Why not try a newer UNIX(tm) like OpenBSD or NetBSD or FreeBSD? The two former ones work well on my AMDK6-2 400 test rig as well. FreeBSD and off shoots like MidnightBSD wouldn't even go though the installation routine.
My Solaris 9 on the HP Compaq project is stand by, I don't currently have any free time for it.

But to answer your question: my interest is on Solaris, because that was the gold standard that the many Linux distributions of the '90s tried to emulate or look alike (except Slackware, which followed more the BSD style of things).

My Solaris 9 on the HP Compaq project is stand by, I don't currently have any free time for it.

But to answer your question: my interest is on Solaris, because that was the gold standard that the many Linux distributions of the '90s tried to emulate or look alike (except Slackware, which followed more the BSD style of things).I(f
If Linux was soo closely tied to Solaris way does it not use slices?

Back