• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some more options for our VC Community

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Some idle questions:

My web hosting provider just upgraded the scripts and features that can be installed easily from there end. Using these I can do some pretty interesting things to the site beyond the bulletin boards I currently have.

For instance, I can add a photo gallery into which members can upload pictures (preferably vintage computer related stuff! :))

Other options would allow me to host Blogs, web managed FAQs or a Wiki, also with a vintage computer focus.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these? Would anyone use them?

I'm trying to add something to the VC community through my site and, in doing so, attract more of that community to it.

Any input is welcome!

Erik

Re: Some more options for our VC Community

"Erik" wrote:

> Any input is welcome!

I'm not sure, since I don't know what this exactly means.
My setup is pretty BASIC -as is- ;-)

If you think it's a good thing regardless, then do what you
have to, but if it's going to be an issue with older systems,
then I'd advise against it.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Some idle questions:

My web hosting provider just upgraded the scripts and features that can be installed easily from there end. Using these I can do some pretty interesting things to the site beyond the bulletin boards I currently have.

Other options would allow me to host Blogs, web managed FAQs or a Wiki, also with a vintage computer focus.

Erik,
I am keen to contribute to a Wiki for vintage computers. There seem to be a few Wiki's going, most notably Amiga Wiki and TotalHardware. There are of course scores of pages on Wikipedia, but these are constrained by their charter to be 'notable', and so can't go into (boring!) detail or give advice or HOWTOs.

Is now a better time to think about having a central VCWiki?

Regards,
John

I'm trying to add something to the VC community through my site and, in doing so, attract more of that community to it.

Because I am paranoid about lost effort (ie. I contribute to something for several months and one day it disappears, lost forever), I generally don't contribute to online information gathering efforts other than what I'm willing to talk about in forums. The only place I started to contribute to was Wikipedia, but the "not notable" and "no original research" restrictions forced me to stop. (At one point I was responsible for 90% of the CGA article, only to have nearly everything I wrote questioned and erased under "no original research" which to this day makes no goddamn sense since I was writing the article to correct the bad information already on the web. The idiocy of "no original research" came to a head when I had information stricken from an article, then I copied the same info I had written to my website, then put it back into the article with a reference to the site and it was then accepted. Whatever.)

All of my major contributions, existing and scheduled for the future, are now self-driven. Meaning, all existing and future effort goes onto my website, where the content is released to the public, indexed by google, and preserved by The Internet Archive (archive.org).

I realize this paints me as paranoid, but I really hate to duplicate effort because of data loss. I've got too much to do to be doing it redundantly :)

All of my major contributions, existing and scheduled for the future, are now self-driven.

I realize this paints me as paranoid, but I really hate to duplicate effort because of data loss. I've got too much to do to be doing it redundantly :)

No worries - there's plenty of space on the web for all, as long as Google finds your work then others can link into it or refer to it.

Good point about data loss though, although I guess the Internet archive can trawl through a Wiki once a month if it is allowed to (ie if the site doesn't exclude robots).

Regards,
John

I am keen to contribute to a Wiki for vintage computers. There seem to be a few Wiki's going, most notably Amiga Wiki and TotalHardware. There are of course scores of pages on Wikipedia, but these are constrained by their charter to be 'notable', and so can't go into (boring!) detail or give advice or HOWTOs.

Is now a better time to think about having a central VCWiki?

Ask and ye shall receive. http://wiki.vintage-computer.com is now live.

It's a totally blank slate, of course, but I'm sure you guys will make quick work of fixing that. :)

Many thanks Erik, it's great to have such a potent site launched, I hope it grows into something extraordinary.

Regards,
John

Giving the last days craziness, maybe a (link to) a irc/chat channel in the forums menu would be nice- maybe its also possible to see who's there from the forum pages?

Haven't thought the concept through but I guess you know in what direction I was thinking.

The other thing would be some kind of file space area (but that would mean bandwidth maybe) to serve things like requests for reference disks, drivers and the like.

But then, just ideas.

Giving the last days craziness, maybe a (link to) a irc/chat channel in the forums menu would be nice- maybe its also possible to see who's there from the forum pages?

We had built-in chat for a while but it wasn't all that popular so it got lost with a software upgrade and nobody noticed. . . :)

I can link to an IRC channel or another website. The integration aspects are probably a bit harder.

The other thing would be some kind of file space area (but that would mean bandwidth maybe) to serve things like requests for reference disks, drivers and the like.

Smaller files can be attached to messages. A true file repository is a possibility, but I'd have to see what bandwidth and space capabilities I can afford.

Back