• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some recent IBM minicomputers...

dreddnott

Experienced Member
I managed to snag one AS/400, two RS/6000s and a 7133-600 disk array, if anybody's interested. They appear to be intact except for some missing HDDs in one of the RS/6000s.

On the same load we also got near on a hundred IBM 5294, 5394, and 5494 as well as some Perle boxes for the same purpose.

I haven't been able to give a power-on test to any of these because they're very heavy and I haven't lugged them upstairs yet...but soon I will. Any interest/information? These machines are all beige, not black!

The one RS/6000 has two hard drives built into it.

I'm pretty sure I totally fried the 8x200MHz PowerPC/memory upgrade box when I put it back together wrong.

Definitely won't do that again. Bleagh.

I work with a RS6000 on a daily basis and I hate that machine :D Fortunately, I haven't come accross the AS/400...

I think I can find an AIX 4.3.3 CD around here [that's what we use] if that helps.

I'd love to get a machine like that to play around with, but they're big, heavy and extremely scarce in my neck of the woods... Every single machine I saw in Romania was in working environments, critical applications. So there's no chance to get one of those for a long time...

Well it turns out the 7133/600 disk array has 12 drives in it, so it's 3/4ths full.

Of course that makes it weigh almost 200 pounds, as does the J50 RS/6000.

The J30 might weigh less but it has no hard drives or sleds.

I think the AS/400 might weigh the least but it's apparently an especially crappy version, only useful for emulating System/360 (or so I read on a German website).

System/36, not 360. Big difference. System/36 was a minicomputer built in Rochester, MN. A 360 is big old IBM iron, mainframe flavor.

I am aware of the difference, and System/36 seems more logical. There must have been a typo on the other site...

BTW, this Wikipedia article could use a LOT of help from someone knowledgeable about the subject who's willing to wikify a lot of poorly-written paragraphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System/36

What do you think? Totally informal, POV, etc.

Back