• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some success with a age old GRiD problem

Thanks to Klyball for his expertise in modifying my 1530 BIOS, I now have a machine that boots from CF card!

Photos of the install & boot process attached.

At boot I have to wait about 45 seconds for the error message to pop up, but once I press F1, it boots!

I'm also including photos of the setup utility (it complains about the disk and lists the drive as type 224) and the ez-bios drive parameters.

I've got laplink installed and a copy of Minix for DOS.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

The BIOS modification?

No, I think Klyball likes a challenge and kindly did it in his spare time.

The first post in this thread has details on how it's done if you're handy with 8086 assembly and BIOS programming... I am very much not so I'm grateful for his assistance.

Sorry to bump an older thread but I was hoping someone wouldn't mind helping with a 1520 BIOS for a CF Card?

I've gone about as far as I can in trying to do it myself, even hammered on the 1530ROM.BAS found in the RuGRiD-Laptop archive, pointing it at the right places and getting the checksums right. The BIOS it creates boots and setup.com shows an updated Type 2 in the drive table but I think this has been pointless. After a reboot setup is back to showing no fixed disk installed. If I understand right this only works for the jumpered backplane? Or only with a 1530. I'm sure it's not matching the drive ID.

My 1520 has the 7A00+2F00 ROMs if anyone would be so kind. I can provide drive geometry if necessary. It would be hugely appreciated.

PXL_20210723_035737677.jpg

Asking once again, I could really use help patching the BIOS to get a CF card working. I'm on my 3rd Conner drive from eBay and after a couple weeks it's knocking on death's door. The original is toast and the past 2 I picked also didn't last long. There's a seller with some supposedly new drives but they're pricey, I'm not sure I can justify it considering how convenient a CF card would be.

@Klyball Where is DX ultimately pointing to? (I tried stepping through the code in debug, only to hang as it never made it out of the identify routine)

There is a concept of a BIOS drive type (1530ROM e.g. patches drive type 2 to the desired geometry), and a GRiD drive type e.g. the CP3044 I have here shows up as BIOS type 17, and GRiD type 9. How do these correlate?

I initially tried to use 1530ROM to do the initial geometry patching, and then modify the drive checking code to match against the first ID byte instead of -, and after the skip would start matching characters in the table, so e.g. for TRANSCEND, I would match 'T' then skip over next character, which would mean the table would need to have ANSCEND in order to match... *scratch-head* ...what am I missing here? and...failing this, how do I just set DX to map to the BIOS type 2 entry that gets created by 1530ROM?

-Thom

There is a concept of a BIOS drive type (1530ROM e.g. patches drive type 2 to the desired geometry), and a GRiD drive type e.g. the CP3044 I have here shows up as BIOS type 17, and GRiD type 9. How do these correlate?
Just set dx too point to one of those , dx=7 is up by the error message and not in the drive table. the .db for the drive check is right before the code , but its way easier just to bypass and set the chs to what you want.

Back