• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sometimes I love exploding capacitors

I've gone 40 years without being killed by a capacitor.... god must love me. I think I can risk it for a few more years :)

Your day is coming and it only takes one. Your asking for it but mind was on the job and the press close up on my hand. I won't feel sorry for you if dose happen to you because your dumb for doing it.

Thus saith the Sadducees.

Not all of us are reliant on chance, nor believe in accidents.

Kids are Kids I don't know what wrong with kids today. Back in 1986 I was a press operator and the press I was operation cut off 3 of my finger on my left hand and I was left handed they put them back on but I have no used of them. I wish it didn't happen but it did.

So go ahead and keep exploding capacitors those might kill you or you might go blind.

Are you calling me a kid? Im not sure what you are getting at with your statement.

Capacitor? You'll call that a capacitor? This is a capacitor:

4uF 40 kV.jpg

That's a 4uF 40 kV test frankencap one of several I have for tesla coil experiments.

I had a trial by fire recapping my first Asus board (P4P800-E Deluxe).

It showed me that Asus prints component maskings backwards on all components, so when I powered the board up after recapping nearly the entire board, every cap erupted in my face and sprayed electrolyte everywhere. When re-capping it a second time, I had to constantly remind myself to install all of the caps backwards. The only three manufacturers I've ever seen do it are Asus, ASRock and Pegatron (which are all the same company now.)

I've had a few close calls with caps detonating inside PSUs, fortunately the case contained the shrapnel.

So do I, but I've had capacitors in recent years that exploded, or at least became an open circuit, on first power-up, even when installed correctly. I don't know if the capacitors are mislabeled or just really poor quality.

A scrap sheet of perspex goes a long way.

Is that you? Thats a spectacular shot. Tantalums normally just make my heart skip a beat when they catastrophically short.. but these are fantastic photos.

That looks like at least 2 caps?

It is. It was actually video, but I’m not sure I want everyone to hear me scream like a little kid.

I think it’s just one cap, but pieces of it bounced everywhere while it was bright like that.

68505777-D867-43B8-9EFE-15E580F38281.jpeg

My scariest cap explosion was one of those glass-sealed steel-jacketed axial Sprague "Vitamin Q" caps. You don't see them much today, except among the tube-toting audiophile sect, where they go for stupid money. I was working on some vacuum-tube gear, when one of those let loose. The bang was bad enough, but what scared me what the corkscrew-shaped steel shrapnel that embedded itself in the ceiling.

Back