• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sord in Japan = Socius in the USA?

carlsson

Veteran Member
I found an article in the magazine InfoWorld, December 1982 about the Japanese computer manufacturer Sord about to enter the US market. What confuses me is they would do it under a different brand name, Socius. See pages 1 and 5.

http://books.google.se/books?id=FzAEAAAAMBAJ

After further research, I found a trademark registration page which clearly lists Socius as a defunct trademark once belonging to the also defunct trademark Sord. However that is as far as I've come in my search.

I understand a few of the North American members have some knowledge of Sord, at least the business models. Can anyone of you elaborate on whether the computers were sold over there and under what brand? Perhaps Sord got second thoughts and decided it was easier and better to use the same name in all regions, unless there was a name conflict with another Sord company in the USA

May I ask why you're interested in Sord? I don't know anything about Sord in the USA, but I have programmed a few business models for industrial use here in the Benelux. I still own a S243 with a few disk stations. And I mostly want to know if there exists some kind of an emulator for any of the machines (except for the toy M-5 or the IS-11 of course; for the latter I also have an old version of the ROMs somewhere around).

Well, my interest originally stems from the M5, although I'm well aware of the business models. I don't know how the emulation situation is like, and if there are some similar Z80 based emulators one could base emulation from in case the model you're looking for doesn't yet exist. Usually MESS has a lot of machines, but mostly home use related ones.

I see that you still have a S243 with a few disk stations. Would you have by chance any floppy disks?

Back