• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sorry for another driver issue

Capt. 2110

Experienced Member
This time it's DOS (FreeDOS) drivers for a Realtek ALC269 sound chip. I don't know if it even has one, but I hope it does.

Thanks!

Realtek - unlike common belief - is not producing audio controllers, but AC97 codecs. So in a nutshell - the manufacturer of your hardware makes the actual audio controller. In the example of a Realtek AC97 chip it is likely an onboard sound device.

Normally "sound blaster compatible" audio controllers do not need drivers, this is handled by the DOS game or app itself. You may need to set the BLASTER environment variable for some games.

Onboard sound devices are often NOT sound blaster compatible any more these days.

A notable exception would be the older VIA boards (VT82C686A/VT82C686B/VT8231) which came with a sound blaster emulation driver for DOS.

Some older BIOS also have options to enable sound blaster emulation for such embedded audio controllers. (Check your BIOS for these!)

I'd try to set the BLASTER variables and if that doesn't work check the drivers and documentation of the board manufacturer.

So, I'd have to type "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6", right? Or do I have to change some of those?

Depends on your sound device configuration.

Basically this is how the BLASTER variable works: (Click for bigger image)

blaster.gif

And as i said - i seriously doubt your sound device offers sound blaster compatibility. Did you check the BIOS (Key words: "Legacy audio", "Soundblaster")? But worth a shot as typing the variable takes a few seconds (If you know the parameters of your card).

Here's more info:

http://www.cubic.org/player/doc/node83.htm

Last edited:
Back