• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Soul of CP/M" by Mitchell Waite and Robert Lafore

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
SO I'm perusing this book, seeing what it covers....

Checking out the beginning sections... What the book will teach you...

Get to a section entitled, "8080,8080A,8085, Z-80: What's the difference?"
No problem...all makes sense....

8080 first....8080A was later and faster...OK...no problem...
8085 came later, mentions adding improvements in interrupt handling, OK...I'll buy that...

Next paragraph, page 13, "The Z-80 is another chip from Intel. Although it is also upward compatible with the 8080, it has a considerably enlarged instruction set. Generally speaking, programs written for the 8080, will run on the Z80 as well, although there are exceptions."

Um, Z80 was created by Intel, huh? Wonder what the 'Z' stood for over?

Anyone else ever notice this?

T

Z80 from Zilog Micro-Devices

Z80 from Zilog Micro-Devices

Later they shortend their name to just Zilog. I'm not sure if they are still active as a company or not. Later offerings were the Z8 to compete with Intel 8051 series and the Z8000 an early alternative to the 8086 and its follow on chips. I think the confusion stems from the fact that a lot of Intel people whent to Zilog in its early days.

Frank.

Oh am am perfectly versed in who Intel and Zilog are - yes, Zilog still exists, and is at www.zilog.com

I was just curious to see if anyone had noted that glaring mistake, especially considering the book is over 20 years old. i figured someone else MUST have seen it during the last 25 years!!

T

My copy of the book corrects their mistake, First Edition Second Printing. You must have the first printing. That's such a whopper of a mistake, I can't believe that it got past the editors!

Here is the corrected paragraph:

"..The Z-80 is a chip manufactured by Zilog. Although it is also upward compatible with the 8080, it has a considerably enlarged instruction set. Generally speaking, programs written for the 8080 will run on the Z-80 as well, although there are exceptions.."

Bill

Sorry for off-topic, comrades!
I am from Russia and I would like to know how do English native speakers pronounce the word "ZiLOG"?
Like [ˈzɪlɒg] or like [ˈzаɪlɒg] or in some other way?

Back