• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Spider Solitaire - Can the Cards Really be Random?

Getting 3 of the same card out of a draw of 11 will happen about 40% of the time. About 4% of the time will yield 4 of the same card. Probabilities are tricky.

Now, if you are getting multiple 4 of hearts in many draws but not multiples of different cards in other draws, that would be weird.

It's mind-boggling to think about how a deck of cards can produce such unexpected results. But that's what makes the game so fun and challenging.

Getting 3 of the same card out of a draw of 11 will happen about 40% of the time. About 4% of the time will yield 4 of the same card. Probabilities are tricky.

Now, if you are getting multiple 4 of hearts in many draws but not multiples of different cards in other draws, that would be weird.
Doesn't it kind of depend on which version you're playing? I go with the intermediate one; i.e. two suits spades and two suits of hearts. At least I can 'win' once in while. I play a few games of spider every night and have only noticed a few occasions of non-randomness on the initial deal in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stacks from the left. Beem a while since I seen that.

I don't know which random number algorithm is being used. Most use the full range of number that the computer can used ( 16 bits maybe ). Then comes the method of reducing that to 52 individual selections. Most people don't understand how the particular algorithm works when reducing it down to a single block of numbers. I've seen one popular random number generator that when using a modulo function to reduce it down generate almost entirely alternating odd and even numbers. Not real good for flipping coins.
Also, a computer using typical signed values, with zero tossed out, has a bias toward more negative numbers. This is an issue if zero is not considered.
I see most say, without understanding how that particular generator acted once it was reduced down to 52 possibilities, how random it still was. I wouldn't bet my life on it still being random.
Dwight

Most RNGs in gmes are pseudorandom--that is, given the same set of starting conditions, the outcomes will be identical. Many MCUs have internal RNGs that rely on quantum shot noise and are truly random.

To pass the time I sometimes play Spider Solitaire (on XP). Too often, the same cards come up on each deal which seems impossible. There can be times when three of the same number/suit come up along with another of the same number with a different suit. It happens way too often to be random. There's just no way it can happen so frequently.

Any one else find this to be true?

Thanks...Joe
Generally when we as humans are asked to generate random sequences we don't put in enough runs of the same result. We expect random to be different each time but thats not the way things work. However some of the other XP games don't deal at random, they just have pre-defined games which allows then to know the difficulty in advance, in which case the game is selected as random, and you will get patterns.

Most RNGs in gmes are pseudorandom--that is, given the same set of starting conditions, the outcomes will be identical. Many MCUs have internal RNGs that rely on quantum shot noise and are truly random.
Timing of keyboard entries can sometimes be used as random values. One does have to be careful as there may be dependencies on timers ( not random ). people are often more random than computers. For a set as small as 52 cards, I'd use keyboard delays.
Dwight

Back