• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SSI Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atari2600a

Veteran Member
Can someone help me w/ some SSI on my site? I'm trying to reorganize my site w/ a single header file & it doesn't seem to work. I asked a friend who uses the same host, & he says SSI works for him...

My site is linked in my signature, & the header file is located at the root directory (http://mtac.profusehost.net/head.html)

(Obviously I don't know much about SSI...)

Have you considered finding something todo to make money?
Cutting grass is what I did when I was your age and younger.
I started my first real domain site when I was your age....lol

I created my first site when I was 9 :p

But, seeing your current site's source, you use FrontPage. *Shivers* Did you use FrontPage back in the day? (I've never in my life used a code generator. Pure HTML all the way! :p)

As for working, I wake up to get ready for school at 6:00AM & get home at 4:00PM. That's as much stress as I can take!

Ssi

Ssi

When I first saw the subject I thought of Strategic Simulations, Inc... one of the great war, strategy and RPG / D&D game maker of the day! :D

Cheers,

80sFreak

atari2600a said:
I created my first site when I was 9 :p

But, seeing your current site's source, you use FrontPage. *Shivers* Did you use FrontPage back in the day? (I've never in my life used a code generator. Pure HTML all the way! :p)

As for working, I wake up to get ready for school at 6:00AM & get home at 4:00PM. That's as much stress as I can take!
I didn't use freebie sites , those are free hosted monstrosities.
Seeing as my sites are cleaner, more efficient, have real domain names, and by far prettier than yours, I suggest you use frontpage as well. To which site are you referring to anyhow?
I have three different sites, one is pure html, one is html/flash, and the last is strictly PHP.
Because you said "pure html" and my museum is pure html.

And dont make excuses like "getting home at 4pm", I usually didn't get home till 5pm, but I still cut grass, you're just lazy.

BTW, never cut a site down when you yourself has a freebie, cheesy, ugly, and ad laced web page.

Also, you don't know enough about softwre and hardware to be ripping on me, get a life.

I was programing and building computers with my own money I EARNED when your parents baught you your first computer.
Nobody sent me free stuff.

Last edited:
Ah, ok gentlemen and small children. Time to chill out.

I myself run my own server and DC. It doesn't take a lot to run IIS or Sun Java Webserver. I freely showed a pic of WS1, its just an old Dell Optiplex GX1, a really unimpressive businesss workstation. Its real easy to run webservers. With linux and Apache, its nearly free. And hosting wise, its running off an ADSL line, nothing special. I am and always will be 100% ad free. I don't even allow people host their sites on my server to have ads.....

-VK

That works great on a 8Mb adsl(wierd, best dsl we get here is a 1.5Mb...lol)
But if you ever had a site as large as Erik's so to say, then it might be a problem. It can also have security issues as well. But if you know what you are doing with setting IP and port access(which vlad does), then it can be a viable alternative, if you don't mind a bogged upload band. Last time I ran a open webserver from my house, I had over sixty port attacks in a week. I had to have my IP address changed. Every 12yo with a port scanner was after me..lol Luckily I used a hardware firewall and software firewalls, and had the posts opened for access to only the server.
That is the only big reason I switched to remote, which is only $10/month, the same as the power consumtion of the server I had running 24/7

*shudder* Piczo! Freewebs!
I Cast Thee Out!
*Voodoo Dance and other such exorsizing Majyk*

Blech.

Looks like someone had a seizure in the yellow pages...

bbcmicro said:
Looks like someone had a seizure in the yellow pages...

LOL That is good.

Anyway, I have both hardware and software firewalls with the ports locked down on both the server and router. There are some other suprises in there too. I concidered setting up an ISA server, but I don't have the energy for that....

-VK

vlad said:
LOL That is good.

Anyway, I have both hardware and software firewalls with the ports locked down on both the server and router. There are some other suprises in there too. I concidered setting up an ISA server, but I don't have the energy for that....

-VK
Good, glad to hear you got it under control. ISA server? NOOOOOO! lol, you would be an old man before you got it up and running. ^_^

mbbrutman said:
Ah, ok gentlemen and small children. Time to chill out.
Well said. A whole bunch of nagging messages, but not a single one who has an answer to Atari. Better keep your mouth shut in that case, IMHO.

Since server-side includes are resolved at the .. (drum roll) server side, the rest of us can not see what you're doing right or wrong. If you like, you can PM/e-mail me the HTML source of the main file and possibly header, and I can look into it. It may be so easy that your web server only accepts server-side includes on files ending in certain extentions (i.e. a file ending .htm would be parsed, but a file ending .html wouldn't). That is configured in the web server, sometimes on user level but most common globally. I could theoretically look up which type of web server (Apache, IIS, whatever) your host uses, if you don't know that yourself. It could be important.

alexkerhead said:
I didn't use freebie sites , those are free hosted monstrosities.
Seeing as my sites are cleaner, more efficient, have real domain names, and by far prettier than yours, I suggest you use frontpage as well. To which site are you referring to anyhow?
I have three different sites, one is pure html, one is html/flash, and the last is strictly PHP.
Because you said "pure html" and my museum is pure html.

And dont make excuses like "getting home at 4pm", I usually didn't get home till 5pm, but I still cut grass, you're just lazy.

BTW, never cut a site down when you yourself has a freebie, cheesy, ugly, and ad laced web page.

Also, you don't know enough about softwre and hardware to be ripping on me, get a life.

I was programing and building computers with my own money I EARNED when your parents baught you your first computer.
Nobody sent me free stuff.

No ripping intended! If my above post sounded rude, I apoligize! All I meant by the FrontPage thing is that it makes the source alot larger than they should be which it turn builds up the load time!

(by the way, I indirectly admitted to the lazyness when I said "that's all the stress I can take". So...yeah...)

carlsson said:
Well said. A whole bunch of nagging messages, but not a single one who has an answer to Atari. Better keep your mouth shut in that case, IMHO.

Since server-side includes are resolved at the .. (drum roll) server side, the rest of us can not see what you're doing right or wrong. If you like, you can PM/e-mail me the HTML source of the main file and possibly header, and I can look into it. It may be so easy that your web server only accepts server-side includes on files ending in certain extentions (i.e. a file ending .htm would be parsed, but a file ending .html wouldn't). That is configured in the web server, sometimes on user level but most common globally. I could theoretically look up which type of web server (Apache, IIS, whatever) your host uses, if you don't know that yourself. It could be important.

It's an Apache server, & since the SSI isn't working, it's viewable in the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back