• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SSM PB1 Read Program

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;

I have a Solid State Music (S-100) PB1 Eprom Programmer..

It comes with programs to Program an Eprom (2708/2716)..
To check if the Eprom is Blank..
To Verify that the Eprom is Programmed correctly..

What I need is a Read program, to Read an Eprom's contents into Memory..

So, I can Copy a 2708 Eprom into Memory and then copy that back to another 2708 (Blank) Eprom..

Can Someone Help me with this ??

THANK YOU Marty

Sure can...

Use the VERIFY code on page 4-5 of the manual (http://www.s100computers.com/Hardware Manuals/SSM/pb1.pdf) as a framework to work with.

Replace the "MOV B,M" instruction at label "VERF1:" with a NOP instruction (don't read the current byte value from memory (HL)).

After the "LDAX D" instruction, insert "MOV M,A" (Store what is in register 'A' - what was just read from the EPROM - into the RAM memory pointed to by HL).

Remove the instructions "CMP B", "MVI A,'F'" and "JNZ ERROR" (there is nothing to compare for an error anymore because we are just reading the EPROM contents into RAM.

Obviously you want to change the "VERF" labels to something more like "READ"...

This new routine should read a 2708 EPROM contents (located at 0D000h) into RAM (located at 4000h).

The PROGRAM and VERIFY subroutines should work as normal.

Dave

Hi All;

Thank You Dave, this is just what I needed to know..
I had imagined some very convoluted solution, so I Like Your simplier solution better..
I had started with the same Verify program as a base program, but I could figure out what to modify and in what way..

After some initial problems, my fault, forgetting to turn off Ram on the memory Card at 'E000, I got it to work..
I changed the Eprom contents to 'E000 from Your 'D000 and Ram at '9000 instead of '4000..
But, it works now..
Thanks Dave..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
You should be able to just plug the EPROM into one of the ROM sockets on the PB1, it'll show up directly in memory (address configurable on the switches). Then just have the PB1 program out of the segment the EPROM is in. I've used my PB1 this way to copy ROMs before.

Hi All;

Glitch, Thank You for the input, But this Board is set up for the Four Rom sockets to be 2716's, and it has one other Modification..
So, I can only use the Programming socket for both Reading and for Writing to the 2708..

My other Programmer didn't / or won't work with 2708's..
It's a NeedHam EMP-11, and it didn't have a TI 2708 Listed, I tried some other type, which said it read the program from the 2708 and Verified it, and Programmed it and verified that copy..
But, when I tried to actually Run the "copied" Eproms in my SpaceByte 8085 Board, they would not Work..
Therefore, I am forced to use my PB1..

THANK YOU Marty

Back