• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stèphane's and Alex' PET ROM checks

To which size does the Olivetti format them - 360 kB or 1.2 MB? The 8050 in theory takes 48 tpi DD floppy disks but you may suffer data loss in the long term. Most of the disks I'm using are 96 tpi DD (QD) but the real purists claim the only proper floppy disks to use are the 100 tpi ones, which are very rare to find I think.

I used all sorts of DD disks back in the day including hard sector and have so far only had 2 or 3 read errors out of about 50 while copying and archiving 30 years later. I think the real issue is quality, not DD vs. QD, but if you have good quality QD disks by all means use them; whichever you use, make a backup copy. Has anyone actually ever seen a 100TPI diskette?

I do recommend bulk erasing any used disks (or new preformatted ones) before reusing them on a different system though.

Routine maintenance on floppy drives that haven't been used for a while is cleaning the heads, rails and lead screws with alcohol/methyl hydrate and relubing the rails and screw with a drop of sewing machine oil or similar and very light grease respectively.

I think Commodore themselves sold 100 tpi or rather 77 track labeled floppy disks. Since the drive mechs were from varying manufacturers, it suggests 100 tpi floppy disks would be used in an array of computer systems. Then again I've heard plenty of 96 tpi disks were sold as 48 tpi disks because that is what customers were looking for, so perhaps a fair share of the 96 tpi disks are good for 100+ tpi drives as well.

Actually, 100 TPI drives were not that common IIRC but three or four manufacturers did make them; aside from the stepper mechanism they were identical to 96 TPI drives.

The diskettes themsleves were all the same physical material and of course blank diskettes don't have tracks per se, so it's always been a question of quality and certification. I think in the old days when manufacturing techniques and quality control were relatively primitive and diskette prices were high it made sense to actually test disks and certify them for the narrow heads of 96 or 100 track drives, leaving the 'rejects' for the more forgiving 48 track drives with wider heads. As time went on and overall quality control improved, pretty well any name brand diskette that left the factory would be good enough for the higher density drives and most people believe that it became largely a marketing issue, charging a higher price for QD labelled diskettes until the PC made them obsolete.

Like I said, IMO the important thing is to not mix formats on the same disk, e.g. use a diskette formatted for a PC in a CBM (or Apple, Atari, etc.) drive, without first bulk erasing the diskette to remove the incompatible format.

And of course the HD (1.2MB) diskettes used in later PCs are a different kettle of fish, a different material and not at all compatible with the DD or QD drives that almost everybody else had been using.

Of course none of this helps Alex; let's hope that cleaning the heads and rails and using a nice freshly erased diskette does...

Last edited:
When i format disks in Olivetti i find some disk 170kb and other 340kb (double density).
Last month (when PET turn on few minutes :-() i was able to format disk but with BASIC V2 roms. In a pdf PET manual i've find command INITIALIZE is it right?

Actually you can use the BASIC V2 syntax with BASIC V4 too. The new commands only are there to make life easier. The disk drive still communicates with the computer in the same way.

OPEN 1,8,15
PRINT #1,"N0:TEST,TT"
CLOSE 1

would format unit #0 on device #8.

By the way, I think the V4 command is HEADER but I've never used V4 very much so I could be wrong about that.

Last month (when PET turn on few minutes :-() i was able to format disk but with BASIC V2 roms. In a pdf PET manual i've find command INITIALIZE is it right?

Alex,
No, the Initialize command only updates the diskette Block Allocation Map information into memory.

Anders is correct, use the V2 syntax as he described or use the V4 HEADER command:

Example: Header "disk name", D0, I77

Giving the diskette an Identification Number (in this example 77), will insure a complete format of the diskette.

Enter the command 'directory' or 'catalog' to read the disk information.

Remember that the drive on the left is drive 1 and on the right side is drive 0. At least it is on the 4040 drive.
-Dave

Last edited:
Thank's again Carlsson & Dave ;) your suggestions great!
I've just re-progran a new set of V2 roms and works great!
With this set of roms i'm able to format disk with no problem :lookroun:
Next days i'll try with V4 roms.
Next challenge... record on tape Tezza's basic games, load to PET and copy to floppy.
I love my PET :D

Hi,

Just a post to say Hello to all of you, guys.
My PET works like a charm since I fixed it thanks to your exellent advices.

I am learning a lot reading e-books I have downloaded (assembly machine mostly).

I hope you are doing well. I will read your last posts as I have not been around since a while.

Hope to speak to you soon.
Cheers.

Stéphane.

Back