• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ST-225. Post detects it. Fdisk detects it but won't form a partition.

Looks like that manual is for a different BIOS version, so the drive table they list might be different. You might be better with the free format option they show, or you can use a tool like sstor with the /romlist switch to read the table from the bios.

Looks like that manual is for a different BIOS version, so the drive table they list might be different. You might be better with the free format option they show, or you can use a tool like sstor with the /romlist switch to read the table from the bios.
I'm finding it difficult to interpret the table

Try running SpeedStor, that will tell you what your computer THINKS the geometry is. Then compare that to the actual geometry of the drive.

If it formatted under DOS FORMAT, then it is probably right. What does chkdisk say the total space is?

Some bad sectors are normal. I'd recommend running Norton Disk Test (I use v4.5) and checking for additional bad sectors. It might add a few more on the first or second pass, but if after that it does not add more then the drive is probably "stable".

Post says 1 hard drive,
That will be the BIOS ROM on the 5150CRH controller displaying that.

i've downloaded speedstor
Because this is an XT-class computer, SpeedStor will display "(system given Params.)" below the 'Manufacturer/Model' heading.
The information (cylinder count, head count, etc.) to the right of that, are what the 5150CRH controller has been configured for.
If those do not match those of an ST-225, then you need to reconfigure the controller via the jumpers (then redo low-level formatting, etc.)

That will be the BIOS ROM on the 5150CRH controller displaying that.

Because this is an XT-class computer, SpeedStor will display "(system given Params.)" below the 'Manufacturer/Model' heading.
The information (cylinder count, head count, etc.) to the right of that, are what the 5150CRH controller has been configured for.
If those do not match those of an ST-225, then you need to reconfigure the controller via the jumpers (then redo low-level formatting, etc.)
I'm not sure what xx in the w6 jumpers means

The controller supports having two hard drives connected. Depending on if your drive type is connected as drive 1 or drive 2, you’ll follow those jumpers. The XX means that position isn’t for the drive number you’re configuring. So you ignore those.

So for your ST-225 as drive one you do ignore, ignore, jumper, jumper, ignore, ignore, jumper, jumper.

Notice that all drive 1 jumper settings skip 1, 2, 5, and 6. All of the drive 2 settings skip 2, 3, 7, and 8. So there is no conflict.

Ignore or skip doesn’t mean there is no jumper. It means you don’t care what is there. On means put a jumper, off means no jumper, and XX you don’t worry about for that drive number.

Also that jumper table is for BIOS CXD03A and you’ve said your BIOS is BXD07 so there is no guarantee it matches.

Last edited:
I have this exact same DTC card with the same BIOS. Two of them, actually. Different revisions with the same BIOS, wonder if there's any functional difference.

When you say it "Sounds sick," what do you mean? During an LLF the access lamp should be on solid and the drive will step through all 615 tracks. Some LLF tools will then jump back to cylinder 0 and verify every track to generate a list of defects as well, so it may take a while.

Keep in mind that DOS is very unforgiving about defects in the first two cylinders of fixed disks. You will not be able to partition or format a drive if there is an error there. This was a major point of contention with Microsoft at the time and there are some very ancient tools to work around it, but I've not seen anyone that needed one in a long time.

Below are the drive type switch settings for a standard 20MB mechanism according to the DTC manual for this BIOS revision:
Drive 0: SW 1/2 ON & 5/6 ON
Drive 1: SW 3/4 ON & 7/8 ON
This should be the correct geometry of 615 cylinders, 4 heads, no WPC. 512bx17 sectors should be the default for any DTC controller of the era.

One last note, SpeedStor while a good piece of software is no god. It may on occasion be able to read out a geometry table from your controller, but in the case of many XT controllers (especially those with fixed geometry or jumpered geometry) it will not be able to actually change what the controller "sees." Even many of the dynamic geometry controllers of this period do not often respond well to SpeedStor. You should run 6.03 over 6.5 on an XT at it has better compatibility with XT controllers. If you LLF via SpeedStor, make sure your geometry appears correct and run a media scan to flag any bad tracks afterwards.

Best of luck to you.

The tables for that bios appear to be listed here:

And here:

That manual shows a different bios version, so it’s possible the tables are different. I didn’t check each one.

Back