• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
*** I will try to keep this as spoiler free as possible for those who haven't watched yet, but everyone has different definitions of what a spoiler is, so keep that in mind ***

I went to see "The Rise of Skywalker" today, overall it was good.

It was nice to see my favorite Star Wars character of all return (hint: he impregnated Shmi Skywalker using the force, who later gave birth to Anakin Skywalker, who would later be known as Lord (Darth) Vader.)

I must admit, that I am a Sith myself, so I always root for the Sith to win, though because of the way Star wars is scripted I know they will never win in the end. This gets me to my main criticism, as expected the resistance and the Jedi won in the end, but they only did because of a series of lucky breaks. If it weren't a movie and if it was actually happening things would have gone much differently and the chance of them winning would be very slim.

Compared to "The Last Jedi" this one was significantly better, and it didn't have any characters put into it just to push a politically correct narrative (that is something that angered a lot of people about "The Last Jedi" it being ruined because of politics).

The movie felt very long to me for some reason, but a good kind of long. The opening was very "dark" in a sense, but I liked that, it is where my favorite character was reintroduced as well, and where the story was set in motion.

In summary, the only real criticisms of it that I have is what people say about most movies "that wouldn't happen in reality", "It only happened that way because they had to" etc, etc, and, of course, it is a Disney film now, so the "good guys" have to win in the end.

I do think that if they had the Sith end up being victorious in the end, it would've been a good lesson to kids that the "bad guys" often win too in reality.

P.S: I blame the Jedi's philosophy of complete emotional detachment and denial for their almost complete destruction in Episode 3. I think anyone who watched the prequels will understand why I think this, but basically if you keep denying something, it will eventually add up and explode, like Anakin did. The Sith on the other hand, are much more human, and if you read into Sith lore you'll see they're really not as bad as the Jedi want people to think.

Overall it is a good movie, I personally give it an 8/10, and I do recommend seeing it.

...he impregnated Shmi Skywalker using the force...

Really? Where did this bit of lore come from? I apparently missed it.

I appreciated the effort in bringing all the dangling plot-lines around in a nice bow. However I thought the entire story was very contrived.... like to an extreme!

^ It's a fan theory, with lots of evidence behind it.

I won't go into detail and mention the characters name, because it's a spoiler, but I'll just say it relates to the tale of Darth Plageious.

Meh, I checked out of Disney Wars when the first installment was nothing but a watered-down greatest-hits reel of the original trilogy duct-taped together with bad fan-fiction; everything I've heard about the subsequent installments has made me glad I stopped bothering. That's what you get for hiring a hack copycat like J.J. Abrams, Disney! (Not to mention apparently never bothering to stop and work out what story they were even trying to tell when they knew damn well they'd be making a full trilogy...)

I saw it last week... overall a nice movie indeed, but the first 1,5hrs felt to me as a rerun/remake of part from Ep IV and Ep I... then towards the ending it got better. Just my two cents ;-)

I like the rogue 1 movie even though it seems most didn't. It felt like a war movie to me and was enjoyable without being tied to too much lore. But I remember seeing episode 1 in theaters and and having been so disappointment basically gave up on the franchise since. Its a Hodge podge at this point.

In my opinion, Rogue One is in the top three of the whole series, with Empire Strikes Back at number one, the original Star Wars as number two. Rogue One is, again in my opinion, the perfect prequel to the original Star Wars.

They had to use the final movie as fan service to fix all the horrible mistakes made in the first 2 portions of the “trilogy”

Really? Where did this bit of lore come from? I apparently missed it.

I think it also showed up in an officially-licensed comic book, but those don't strictly count as canon... or something, the whole debate about what counts and what doesn't gives me a headache.

I haven't seen the new movie yet; I'm sure I'll get around to it because I started this ride, might as well finish it. But frankly I have a staggeringly low opinion of the new main trilogy. The Internet had plenty of bad self-insertion Star Wars fanfiction written by hyperactive thirteen-year-olds already, I'm not sure why Disney felt like they needed to pay J.J. Abrams to bring a particularly loud and witless version of it to the big screen with "The Force Awakens". The nicest thing I can say about "The Last Jedi" is at least they took some risks; I don't think they paid off and the movie was still chock full of stupid, but at least it didn't make the deja vu gland in my brain melt down.

(Honestly, I'm not sure what's worse, leaving the theater feeling actively hostile at all the pandering and handwaving you've just absorbed, or just sort of bored and disinterested? Maybe I'm just less likely to get mad at a movie if it's not so painfully trying to be an exact copy of another, better movie.)

Rogue One I did enjoy, the whole "dark underbelly of the rebellion" angle was an interesting take, and it's nice to watch a movie and see things you haven't actually seen before once in a while. (And while it *was* dripping with fan service the scene with Vader at the end almost justified the entire film on its own.) The movie at least mostly succeeded in most areas where the mainline films have faceplanted *hard*. Coherent storytelling being the big one.

Solo... uhm, I watched it on Netflix. Honestly I don't think I could tell you the plot if I tried, it made that little of an impression. The robot was kind of fun, I guess?

I thought it was a Return of the Jedi retread. I enjoyed it, but I didn't find it very original.

I actually liked The Last Jedi because it attempted to tell a new story. It didn't succeed in some places, though I think it succeeded more often than it failed, but it tried to expand the universe, at least. JJ Abrams' Star Wars are throwback movies. That was fine the first time, and it was okay this time, but it was a bit tiresome.

I did like Rogue One a lot, and Solo had its moments.

I found Skywalker to be an interesting experiment: How do you please everyone (die-hard fans, casual fans, Disney corporation shareholders) without it all turning brown?

Because Last Jedi was the worst film out of the entire 9+2, it would have been difficult to make Skywalker just as bad. So on those merits, despite extremely clumsy storytelling, it was indeed better than Last Jedi, so I enjoyed watching it. Unlike Episodes 4-6, however, I'll never watch it again. The only reason I saw it in the theater was so that I could keep my streak intact (I've seen every Star Wars film in a theater during their original theatrical run).

I actually liked The Last Jedi because it attempted to tell a new story.

The issues most people have with Last Jedi are:

- It broke every previous Star Wars film when it introduced hyperspace ramming (if that mechanic had always existed, it invalidates episode 4 and 6's plots)
- It changed Luke's character completely, from someone who was willing to spare/save a sith lord (Vader), to someone who would kill his nephew simply because he got spooked by some dark side tendencies in him

I agree with the above. Like other frustrating prequels/sequels (Prometheus comes to mind), LJ looked and sounded great in the theater, but then caused anger and frustration once the movie was over and you realized the plotlines were illogical and nonsensical.

I agree with the above. Like other frustrating prequels/sequels (Prometheus comes to mind), LJ looked and sounded great in the theater, but then caused anger and frustration once the movie was over and you realized the plotlines were illogical and nonsensical.

I was kind of willing to go with the flow on Luke turning into a bitter, disillusioned old crank (stuff *can* happen) if they'd done it well (they mostly didn't), but I certainly understand why that in particular got under some fans' skin and in common with everything else that's gone on in these movies the mechanics behind it were so poorly set up and followed through on in the end it just felt like another random thing they slapped on the screen because it's the best idea the directionless committee they had instead of an actual writer happened to have that day. But yeah, the hyperspace ramming thing certainly opened a massive Pandora's box when it comes to interpreting every previous Star Wars franchise property.

(And the whole fuel thing, for that matter; fuel had *never*, *ever* been an issue in Star Wars up to this point and suddenly that's the mechanism driving the entire B-plot, which dragged on *far* too long and frankly amounted to an inferior copy of the first episode of the 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot.)

Dirty little secret about space travel fantasy is if there actually was a universe in which random smugglers could own ships capable of the sort of acceleration we see in Star Wars and there's no physics get-out-of-jail free card that makes them able to do that without accumulating actual momentum then there'd be no need for Death Stars, just about anyone could afford a weapon of mass destruction capable of annihilating the surface of a planet. Even relatively minor fender-benders could be extinction-level events. And of course either accepting or ignoring this comes with the territory of watching most space science fiction, but it's easier to suspend disbelief when they don't just suddenly and randomly make this unwanted-and-with-so-many-knock-on-consequences ugly truth a major plot point.

While physics as we know it doesn't allow such things, our understand of the quantum level of things is so weak, we could be missing something that is hiding from us. I don't expect to see such space travel in several lifetimes. I don't rule it out either. Cause and effect change their meaning at the smallest levels but at our size we are so tied to it.
Dwight

Back