• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stoned Virus on IBM 5170/AT

marcampion

Attachments

• photo63740.jpg
    photo63740.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 30
You will need a clean boot floppy with an anti-virus to clear off the stoned from the hard disk. You will also need to clean every floppy ever written on that machine since those will likely have the virus. Because of how Stoned worked, many of your 1.2MB or 1.44MB disks will have damaged root directories and files have been lost.

love it! this used to be so dramatic when i was a kid, so even going through it now fulfills the nostalgic desire which i guess is the whole reason for having this machine anyway. for some reason though norton doesn't give me the option to do create a disk, but trying an IBM AntiVirus, we'll see how it goes...

It is probably better to use a different computer to create the anti-virus boot disk. If the anti-virus disk includes a virus, you might wind up clearing the virus off only to have it put back on. I admit that can be problem now since few have multiple computers with 5.25" drives available.

I think this may be the original stoned-- IBM anti virus seems to be doing the trick for now, supposedly removed it, but I'll try to make a boot disk just in case.
Thanks everyone!

PHOTO-2021-10-01-10-30-05.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-10-01-10-30-05.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-10-01-10-30-05.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2
greetings!

if you suspect you have a virus you can try my antivirus called VCHECK I wrote years ago, it would run on 286+ machines

thanks

Aahh, my old friend the Stoned Virus. In the late '80s/early '90s I was stationed @ MCAS New River, the air station next to Camp Lejeune. The Marine Corps had a system called the Unit Diary System that handled all the administrative tasks (Payroll, etc.) for the Corps. The system ran on Tempest certified PCs (AN/UYK-83s & 85s). Someone ran a pirated game on one of these machines. Since the Corps was using McAfee at the time, they turned off the virus scanning to get it to run. The computers had SCSI hard drives on removable frames in them. Once a week, the hard drive with each units updates was taken to the Data Processing center on Camp Lejeune so the Diary System could update the mainframes. Because every unit used this system, every unit got the Stoned Virus in their PCs. There was 10,000+ floppies that had to be destroyed or erased because of this. At the time, I was the "defacto IT Guy" for my unit. I made up a pair of disks (1 3.5" & 1 5.25") to scan the machines in our squadron, to make sure the virus scanner was not disabled on each PC we had. Of course I labelled them "This disk has the Stoned Virus" so I knew what was on them. We had an incident in '90 that caused NIS (Naval Investigative Service - the predecessor of NCIS) to show up and look through the floppies we had for a gif file. I got a weird look from the agent when he saw the 2 disks with the "Stoned Virus" labels on them. :)

Welcome to the club! The Stoned Virus was my very first virus and I didn't even know what it was. Until it was too late. I was lucky to have made back-ups of my programs.

Do you have files you want to keep ?

You could just reformat and reinstall ?

I also imagine there are people who collect viruses ?

What's the best A/V to put on DOS, and where do you get it? I've been meaning to ask that for a while.

What's the best A/V to put on DOS, and where do you get it? I've been meaning to ask that for a while.
F-Prot is the best for when it comes to ease of use and efficiency, but the best over all is AVP/KAV (now Kaspersky), detection rate and cleaning ability no doubt, but it came quite late in the DOS AV scene around 1997

Back