• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Storage options for Sharp PC-E500S

curtis

Veteran Member
Picked up one of these recently and am really impressed with it except for one little thing.

I've got the cassette interface, but was wondering if there is a viable alternative storage option such as a disk drive. I know Sharp made a 2.5" unit, but that might as well be a unicorn!

Any suggestions?

Oh, any suggestions where I can find an Operations Manual in English?

Thanks. I shot him an email. Now all we have to do is wait...

Wonder if it would be possible to hook up an arduino and emulate a floppy. Maybe a USB thumb drive. That could pretty handy!

If you got a cassette interface with analog in/out sockets, you can hook that up to a PC with a soundcard and use that as a replacement for the cassette player. Ok, that is trivial, but what is cool is that there is software can can convert the sound generated by the cassette interface into text files and vice versa! So you can edit a basic file on the PC with your favourite editor, generate a sound file, and then load it into your sharp pocket computer:

http://www.peil-partner.de/ifhe.de/sharp/

HB

Last edited:
I've own the PC-500 since it was released. Here is the best page of info on it. http://www.andrewwoods3d.com/pce500/ He shows plans for an RS232 cable. I been using a RS232 cable to save code and data files for 20 years to a PC. An older PC from the 90's might be easier to connect to. The Cassette interface works nice and it can be found on ebay from time to time. The CE-140 floppy, I've only see picture and all seem to be from German owners. I've never seen on on FleaBay. I had not used it it years but have kept the batteries fresh each year. It looks like a grand daughter is going to be going to engineering school next year. I hope she can use it.

framer

Hi,
I've only just read the thread so my reply is very late, however it may be of interest to Curtis to know that PC E500s programs can be saved to a PC via a cable, but only using windows seven. The Sharp operates on Basic and windows 10 doesn't accept basic. I have more information if needed, just contact me through the site.
Regards,
Borer1

Back