• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Stuff for sale, some on it's way to recycling already

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Been saying it for a year...this stuff has to go...

As it is, the following is inthe Rav4 waiting for delivery to Recycledpcparts.com tomorrow for recycling:
(2) IBM 5150's
(1) IBM CGA Monitor (all red display, though)
(4) PCjr,2 psu's, 2 keyboards
(2) PCjr manuals
(3) Compaq Portable's
(2) Compaq Portable II's
(1) Tandy 1000TX (Saved the keyboard - didn't someone need a TX keyboard?)
HUGE stack of IBM Manuals
Zenith Z-171

Have the following available, will be sent to recycler in load #2 on Tuesday if noone bites:

1. Apple IIc+psu, works great, includes a IIc book, some original apple disks (Dos 3.3 master, Appleworks, etc..) $50+shipping
2. Laser 128 with PSU, Manual, and some RGB cable if I can find it. $50+shipping
3. Apple II plus, non-working mainboard, but the case is AWESOME nice cosmetically!!! $75+shipping
4. Stack of IBM Guide to Ops: 3 for the XT, 1 for XT/286, plus IBM Drawing Assistant - some have disks, like diags, etc.. $30 for the stack+MediaMail shipping should be cheap!

As I've been saying...need space, and these things need a home.
On the smaller stuff, don;t have the time or the patience for eBaying them, as it is TOO EASY to recycle them - it's 2 blocks off my path to work!

T

Last edited:
I'm some interested. What manuals do you have? And that CGA monitor... does it take 220v AC (as of I live in Europe)? Do you live far from Europe? Do therse 5150's have a CGA card?

I'm in South Florida, in the USA - Near Miami, FL

the CGA monitor is 110v, and shows red only, so it probably would not be worth shipping.

T

Do they pay you anything for that stuff ? I was talking with a local
guy who had a shop years ago , but now has all the stuff stored in his
attic/garage/basement. He periodically sends pallets of stuff to a recycler
and gets between 1 and 2 dollars a pound. I got a couple boxes of cards
from him awhile back, mostly 8 bit ISA cards, some 16 bit cards, at $1/pound.

OK - maybe we're not on the same page, or there's some sort of barrier....

The stuff I said that was on it's way, is gone - I don't just add that to try to encourage someone to buy the stuff - I've listed the PC's on here before, the jr's, etc...

The 5150's, PCjr's, Compaq Portables and Portable II's as of 8am EST
this morning, that stuff is at recycledpcparts.com in Miami...

Maybe some part of them will be in the remote control of the next TV you buy...

I tried, but I can't hang on to stuff forever, and I can't do $5 auctions, where it costs more than the $5 in gas to get to a USPS/UPS office...

The OTHER stuff below in the OP is available, however...

T

So let me get this straight. If you can't make money on it you'd rather have it destroyed. I'm sorry but I find that reprehensible. There is no way I would ever take any vintage equipment to be smashed. I would much rather give it away to others that would find enjoyment from it. Plus it keeps something that can never be replaced from annihilation. And if no one seemed to want it then I would indeed keep it forever. Even though I live in a small home that already is crammed full I would sooner trip over it than have it wiped from the face of the earth. I have a quite a few items, some of which that are in less than perfect working condition, but they'll never see the interior of a dump or recycling plant as long as I still breathe.

I don't know who you are, and don't really care, but I even offered them for free. These machines go back about 2 years, and noone ever claimed them.
I don't expect to make money, as many here will attest, but I can;t be losing money on everything, either.

Example:
Thread with 5150's
I said make offer, and just make it worth my time...That's just ONE posting, and THAT one is 2 years old!

Now, why didn't you use the forum's search function to find the posting?
I receive PM's about REALLY old postings daily - Mardy asked me about a Model 4 I sold 2 years ago, someone else PM'd me about a Model 1 Barythrin
bought from me about 1-1.5 years ago...???

Ask CFenton when I sent him a second setup for his Kaypro 2 for basically $5 shipping when what I sent him went to his old address and he never got it..

Ask Chuck when I gave him the (2) Z88's for cheaper than beans...
Ask VLad when I gave him the nice PowerMac tower pretty cheaply...

Another factor is I have a wife to deal with, and I was already tripping over stuff, as was she. Add to that, it is hurricane season now, and I had no space in the garage to put the outside stuff, and I'm not going to leave potential missiles outside just because it offended you that I took stuff to be recycled.

I think before you talk $hit and criticize, you really need to #1 have a LITTLE more time here, and #2 at least know something about WHO you are criticizing - I have GIVEN machines away, I have GIVEN people stuff free, I just simply had no more room.

Not that I really need to explain myself to you, because, quite honestly, it's none of your d@mn business anyway, and I don't know (or care) who the f- you are any way.

'nuff said....

Tony

Last edited:
Tony I can totally relate because I am in a way getting to that point as far as limited space to work with. I'd love to be able to save every possible thing that I've accumulated and so far I have been able to.....but I'm also realizing that I am starting to run out of room and I can't change the laws of physics and make things fit where they truly can't.

Darthkur I can also understand your point of view too. I too am passionate about retro computers and it would feel like it would kill me to send any of that stuff off to a scrapyard. Considering how hard older computers are to come by out here, it'd be a hard thing to do. But renting a climate controlled storage space can be very costly, especially with this crappy economy. I'd love to be able to, but quite honestly I'm trying to save as much money as possible, it'd be hard for me to throw lots of money into a rental storage unit. What to do ????

So yeah I can understand both perspectives. But I don't think Tony is necessarily enjoying sending these computers off to a recycling facility. If he didn't care, then he probably wouldn't be such a prominent member of these forums, nor would he offer the good deals to the other members that he has.

I'm just a bit surprised that PCjr's are so little sought after that you end up having to send them to recycling. The IBM PC 5150's I can understand, as I assume they're bigger and heavier than a PCjr.

Too bad you live overseas. Several of those computers you list would find buyers over here for the same amounts, if shipping was a bit closer.. e.g. if you had lived in Germany instead of Florida.

As it is, those Compaq Portables and 5150's got their lives extended by 2-3 years. I can only store stuff for so long...

If I hadn't snagged them when I did 2 or so years ago, they'd probably already be a front fender for a Ford Focus, or a few soup cans, or who knows WHAT else...

There were 4-5 total, I got people to take 3, and two had to get scrapped...

I saved 3 machines out of about 5 - 60% save percentage - I can live with that.

Compaq portables - when I started, I had about 11-12. 5 went to the recycler. Still a decent save percentage.

On the PCjr's, they weren;t all that. When I dropped them off, there were 2 keyboards, but they were REALLY nasty. All the machines were in pretty
poor condition, there were 4 total - 2 had no floppies, 1 I know was bad, and there was only 1 psu in that box.

I did save a FDD for MB, and I think I still have one more, that has the Racore add-on, that is also earmarked for MB.

T

I don't know who you are, and don't really care, but I even offered them for free. These machines go back about 2 years, and noone ever claimed them.
I don't expect to make money, as many here will attest, but I can;t be losing money on everything, either.

Example:
Thread with 5150's
I said make offer, and just make it worth my time...That's just ONE posting, and THAT one is 2 years old!

Tony

Well, the ones that are gone, which I was not aware of their absence, didn't have prices beside them but the ones below did and they are far from being free. I can understand on not being able to lose large sums on things but does it really cost $50 - $75 to get a box and place the item in it? UPS, FedEx and DHL can and will come to your home to pick up a delivery and when the person to receive the item(s) is paying for the shipping that would save you from expending gas to go to a drop off location.
$50 - $75 might not seem like much to some, and who knows maybe most that post here are wealthy, but it certainly is to others, especially when added to another $50+ for the shipping. I just thought that if one truly loved these things then they would go to just about any lengths to keep them from harm.
I don't mean to insult you out of any sort of petty vindictiveness. I was just expressing my opinion and feelings, which you've already expressed you're not inclined to be concerned with. It is also not my intention to start a huge argument. Doing such is pointless. Everyone is different. Individuals think, feel and handle things in a wide variety of ways. We differ on one thing. No big deal and no reason to get upset about. I must admit though the the presence of lamentation for the loss of said items and that is, to me, very disconcerting. Hence why I commented in the first place.
I don't bother to look in old posts just because 99% of the time an outdated sales posting is tantamount to the items being long gone. As is exemplified by the details of your years past transactions.
I further understand the situation of limited space. I trip over things on a daily basis. It does get irritating and painful at times. But I would much rather suffer that discomfiture than face the pain and regret the alternative would create.
Let me reiterate, we're different, as people tend to be. Let's leave it at that. I did not come to start a fight.

I don't have the luxury of being able to leave things all around the house, as I have a wife, 2 kids, 4 dogs, and my wife's visitor's on the weekends.

As to the current items, nowhere does it say the prices are firm, and etched in stone.

Also, I never said that it didn't bother me to get rid of them in that manner, but they would've been there a few years ago, and I was able to find some a new home.

T

I can find some solace that at least some did get adopted. I figured you couldn't have felt all to good about the ones that didn't, being a member of this forum. I imagine it is a much more difficult situation having a higher population in your home. I'm a hermit so I get away with having piles upon piles of gadgets strewn about. They're pretty much my only companions.

Been saying it for a year...this stuff has to go...

• 4. Stack of IBM Guide to Ops: 3 for the XT, 1 for XT/286, plus IBM Drawing Assistant - some have disks, like diags, etc.. $30 for the stack+MediaMail shipping should be cheap!

As I've been saying...need space, and these things need a home.
    On the smaller stuff, don;t have the time or the patience for eBaying them, as it is TOO EASY to recycle them - it's 2 blocks off my path to work!

T

• Tony,

I would have liked to have bought one of those 5150s from you. I have limited computer access, so I didn't see them in time. I wonder what manuals I missed out on, too.

Perhaps if you'd given people an extra day or two, more of this stuff would have gone to loving homes. I'm not saying "wait an extra day", I'm saying "post about it a few days earlier" and I might be able to help you get rid of the stuff without having to recycle it.

Sean

It's been nearly two years - I don't know how much more time is needed.
I've listed those 5150's, and CPQ's at least 3-4 times before.
I can't hold the stuff forever...

Most of the manuals were DOS binders: 3.1, 3.2, etc.. I kept the GTO's and the IBM Drawing Assistant.

Next time, I will not say anything, as everyone is NOT seeing the fact that I posted them here as BEST OFFER just make it worth my while, nearly 2 years ago, and wants to criticize me for not waiting more.

That isn't fair - it's been two years, and NOW that they went to the recyclers, everyone wants them?

Where's everyone BEEN for two years, when i posted them?

I have no guilt - only thing this will do, is next time, I will say nothing, and off they go, which is basically worse, as NOONE gets a chance.

Impossible to win.....

T

It's been nearly two years - I don't know how much more time is needed.

Well, I wasn't here two years ago. I only got here a month or two ago (can't remember). My point is, that if you would make more posts about stuff that has to go, you have a better chance of getting an offer for it. You could put an ad in you .sig file (signature file) that says to ask for the list, and then people would know that you are offering stuff.

I have looked at older threads on vcf, but mainly in the S-100 section. There's just too much to look at it all.

Sean

Hey, it's Tony's stuff, he gave fair notice and that's that.

I know what he's going through as it's getting a little crowded around here too and I have most of 4200 sq feet to play around with.

If I had easy access to my unfinished attic, some of it would be up there too.

Even trying to give stuff away for free, with the high cost of shipping, is difficult and two perfect full-sized AT cases (I kept the power supplies) are now somewhere waiting to become something.

Tony can't save everything and neither can I. Living gets in the way.

I prefer people who want stuff gone to list a firm price then "make it worth my time". Are you a bagger at the local windixie or are you Donald Trump, peoples time is not all worth the same. Still its your stuff and you can do whatever you want with it.

I have run into people trying to give me a "great deal" on items that I can snag on ebay cheaper shipped to my door any day of the week. I have also run into people giving away items worth some decent money because they snagged it free themselves and just want another collector to have it. Plus everything in between.

Don't see why everybody is getting upset over this thread. As sharkonwheels pretty much said, most of that stuff had issues and was not in the best condition anyway. If the pcjrs were mint and working they would have ended up on ebay and not in the trash.

Back