• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stuff that's getting hard to find

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I knew this particular widget (a 50-pin "intra connector") was made by AP Products. What I wasn't ready for is how hard it is to find one now. I finally got one off of eBay, but it took a lot of looking. What's surprising is that there doesn't seem to be any modern equivalent!

922576-50-I.JPG

There's another thing for the Compaq Portable III, a small module that acts as the ISA bridge for the modem and memory cards. The 94-pin connector on that isn't easy to find either. I may be able to use an analogous connector, but the other one doesn't seem to be made anymore.

I’d like to find the Centronics-ish connector that mates with the bus connector on the back of the IBM Convertible, but that will *never* happen. Love to be proven wrong.

Seems like a good use for 3D-printing, some micro-drill bits and a drilling jig!
I don't have any of these things, but I did manage to turn a DIN-5 into a DIN-7 (by using a depinned Commodore 4-pin power-plug as a drill-jig for drilling the extra holes in the salvaged DIN-5), I should document/recreate the steps I used for that and get it posted here.

Back