• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sub thread for SUN's, SGI, etc

It's not a bad idea to build up a knowledge base as hardware deteriorates, SUN and SGI in particular.

I only have 1 SUN but having a SUN/SGI/Proprietary UNIX subforum wouldn't be bad before we all forget about how they work.

Just put NetBSD 9.0 on a 256 MB SS10, and I have a 1 GB 167 MHz Ultra 1 (born Creator 3D but the Creator card died so it's just cg6 now).

But...

Unix/Xenix/Linux Workstations
Unix family discussions

I really don't get what you are trying to achieve here. Not only does your suggested subforum already exist, we're using it right now! ;0
This subforum barely gets much activity as it is. I don't see a need to branch it any further.

Interesting little conundrum - because that would rule out all the pre-RISC *nix systems (of which there were a considerable number.) On the other hand, this rules out any non-*nix RISC machines (um...aside from PPC Macs, what, Acorn and BeOS?)
But then again, the "Unix/Xenix/Linux Workstations" category is related to what operating system a workstation runs and not the underlying hardware.

Precisely...so, what do you do, maybe rename the category to "Professional Workstations?" But then there were plenty of *nix systems that didn't really fit that category, either...

But then again, the "Unix/Xenix/Linux Workstations" category is related to what operating system a workstation runs and not the underlying hardware.

But it's a broad category nonetheless.

Hardly complete, but the only machines I can think of that were competitive at the time and not "Unix/..." would be Apollos running DOMAIN and VAXStations. VAXStations have a home in the DEC topic, I don't think the Apollos would have a specific topic for them.

What other non-unix "workstations" from this era were there?

About the only other thing that springs to mind would be the LISP machines and the descendants of the Xerox Alto, but those were far more niche.

It would make sense to me to branch the *NIX machines into at least a few sub-genres.

Sun, SGI, HP, and "others" or something. There's a ton of SGI and SUN hardware about still for sure.

In the last three months this subforum has only seen 12 active threads, including this one and several older threads which had new replies.

There's no point. You add a bunch of extra subforums and they'll all be even more unused.

In the last three months this subforum has only seen 12 active threads, including this one and several older threads which had new replies.

There's no point.

+1

IMHO we would add sub-forums when there's so much posting going on about different subject areas, it's difficult to keep track of things in the dogpile. But we don't seem to be in any danger of that at present...

Back