• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Ultra 30 type 5 (optic) mouse problems

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi guys,
I'm having problems with my Ultra30 and the type 5 optical mouse. Keyboard works fine. Mouse plugged into the slot on the bottom of the keyboard but I don't get any movement in CDE. The buttons seems to work as they bring up menu's. I've replaced the mouse with a known working mouse and same results. Any ideas how to troubleshoot? Could it be something on the keyboard that has broken? Resistor or something? Is there a way to use a serial mouse int he case I cant get it working?

I hate to ask, but do you use the mouse pad that the mouse needs? It will not work on anything else.

Hi, Yeah I've tried both a hard top mouse pad and a rubber fabric one. Same results. It seems to move upwards when I click the left button. Right button opens the menu. very strange. Should I see the red optic LED?

No, you misunderstood. You can not use any other mouse pad! This mouse needs a very special, mirror-like mouse pad with a grid (this). No other mouse pad will ever work correctly. I replaced my type 5 optical mouse for a ball-driven one because of that.

The LED is infrared. So no, nothing to see.

That mouse and pad were OEM to mouse systems inc. I have one for my Sun Ultra 5 and one from my Amiga 3000 (only have 1 mouse pad).

ok. I used to support this system but I can't remember it having a pad like that? I thought it had a standard fabric one. But then again my memory is shot. I have another problem so I'll post a new thread as I see there is some Sun support here :)

I have an optical mouse, but never got one of the special pads. I settle on a rollerball Type 5 mouse on all my Suns.

Yes, not like modern laser mice--the early optical mice used a specially-patterned optical pad. If you damaged the pad, your mouse would not work, which is why they were largely obsoleted by the "rollerball" mice. Detail here

Ok thanks for confirming this everyone. I wish I had of saved the mouse pad too. A type 5 ball mouse seems to cost over $60 on eBay. Sigh. Is there a way to use a normal serial mouse on the Ultra 30?

Back