• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sunblade 1000 issues

robbo007

Experienced Member
Hi,
I have a Sunblade and Im seeing this error in the POST.

"Read parameters from seeproms FAILED"

Is this because its complaining about the sensors on UPA0 and UPA1? Or is it the RAM? What are the "Seeproms"?

{0}Soft POR to the whole system {0}* Configure I2C controller 0 {0}* Configure I2C controller 1 {0}* I2C Controller Loopback Test {0}* Read JTag IDs of all ASICs {0} BBC JTag ID: 1483203b {0} SCSI JTag ID: 15060045 {0} I chip JTag ID: d1e203b {0} RIO JTag ID: 13e5d03b {0} Schizo JTag ID: 1824c06d {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0} CPMS JTag ID: 1142903b {0}* Read JTag ID of FCAL {0} FC-AL JTag ID: 1000a12f {0}* Probing Seeprom on DIMMs and CPU modules {0}CPU0 Sensor package temperature 20 oC {0}WARNING: Temperature sensor on UPA0 missing {0}WARNING: Temperature sensor on UPA1 missing {0}Smart card reader present {0}* Read parameters from seeproms {0} Size/bank(MB) Number of banks {0}DIMM 0: 256 2 {0}DIMM 1: 256 2 {0}DIMM 2: 256 2 {0}DIMM 3: 256 2 {0}DIMM 4: 128 2 {0}DIMM 5: 128 2 {0}DIMM 6: 128 2 {0}DIMM 7: 128 2 {0}ERROR: TEST = * Read parameters from seeproms TESTID = 97 {0}H/W under test = I2C/Serial Proms {0} Different DIMM-sizes mixed in DIMM 0,2,4,6 {0}* Read parameters from seeproms FAILED {0}POST failed {0}POST_END

My guess from reading the service manual and the error log is that you have the memory DIMMs in the wrong slots. Try putting the 256MB DIMMs on slots 0, 2, 4, and 6 and the 128MD DIMMs in slots 1, 3, 5, and 7.

True, but that is not his issue. The only test that fails is "Read parameters from seeproms". Pretty sure the 1000 has the same Dallas EEPROM chip whose battery fails on any other Sun system as well and needs to be serviced.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try moving the ram around. the NVRAM chip on the SunBlade 1000's are smaller and there is also a small coin battery on the motherboard. No sure if the coin battery holds the clock info?
The MAC address is still intact and on screen I don't get any NVRAM errors???

Thanks for the reply. I'll try moving the ram around. the NVRAM chip on the SunBlade 1000's are smaller and there is also a small coin battery on the motherboard. No sure if the coin battery holds the clock info?
The MAC address is still intact and on screen I don't get any NVRAM errors???
The MAC address is stored in the SEEPROM in U2101, rather than NVRAM. (Take a look at https://dogemicrosystems.ca/pub/Sun...hbk_V3.4/Systems/SunBlade1000/components.html scroll down to IDPROM.

@m_thompson,
That worked. I move the RAM to the slots indicated. Boots fast now and with all the RAM.

@mdog69,
So date and time seem to store when unplugged. I've set the boot device too "DISK" and when running setenv boot-device disk I see disk listed but it continues to try and boot from the network??? Any ideas why I cant save the boot device? Is this a NVRAM problem? battery?

@m_thompson,
That worked. I move the RAM to the slots indicated. Boots fast now and with all the RAM.

@mdog69,
So date and time seem to store when unplugged. I've set the boot device too "DISK" and when running setenv boot-device disk I see disk listed but it continues to try and boot from the network??? Any ideas why I cant save the boot device? Is this a NVRAM problem? battery?
To be honest, I only knew about the "Mac on SEEPROM for Sunblade 1000" because I've had to refer to the IDPROM listing a few times over the last 12 months

If I had an issue with a SunBlade, my first ports of call would be to find a PDF of the service manual (if it exists), and have a look around the Field Engineers Handbook (aka FEH) for any info.

The "electronic engineer" part of my brain says the config could be on either SEEPROM or NVRAM, with the more permanent stuff being on the SEEPROM. (e.g. MAC/hostid/serial number)

Back