• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sunnyvale Atari Party 6/14/14 10am-4pm

barythrin

Veteran Member
Haven't seen this mentioned here and no idea what it entails but if you're an Atari fan and in the Sunnyvale area probably worth hanging out.

Atari Party 2014
Cost: FREE :)

I'm a bit embarrassed to say (I guess this is common knowledge?) but I guess I never opened up my Atari 800 far enough to realize how the expansion slots worked. So there ya go, I'm far away and I've already learned something from their party ;-)
IMG_0057.JPG

It would have been fun to go, but I'm mired here in a flyover state.

The 800 in the photo looks just like mine as it also is an earlier model with the latches for the top cover instead of the screws that were used on later models. The I/O shield for the cartridge bay is missing on the one in the photo. Mine had the same problem since it held in place by foam strips and adhesive. The foam rots away with time and the shield falls off. Frankly, I found that much easier to repair than getting any of the modules out of their slot.

Mine had been in storage for 10 years, and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't boot and the I/O shield fell off. I found one of the RAM modules was the boot problem, after I finally got got them out.

Anybody have a good technique for removing them?

I missed it. Didn't even know it was going on, and I live only 10 minutes from Sunnyvale. :(

I never got into Atari. We had a Colecovision at home, then an Apple IIe. My neighbor had a 2600. :) I just remember my brother getting mad because they'd play a game with 2 space ships. You could be big, slow, and powerful, or small, quick, and not very powerful. My friend always picked the little ship because it moved so fast, you could fire, hit the big ship (it'd spin when I gets hit), then move just a bit, then fire again, and repeat. So my brother just sat there as his ship got hit and spun and couldn't do anything. :p

Oh, and a tank game where we'd just end up shooting randomly until the little ball bounced and hit the other guy (or yourself.) Hehehe.

Back