• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SunOS 4 patches/repos

haightc

Experienced Member
Does anyone know where I can find patches for SunOS 4?
Specifically I am looked for the the DHCP patch...

I would like too also add the fallowing tools to the system

1) python
2) pico / nano
3) MySQL
4) lynx

I there are ready to go packages that would be awesome, else I'll try to compile them. Really though I need to get DHCP going to be able to download directly to the sparcstation. Right now I have been getting things over to the sparcstation via floppy, being able to transfer via network would be a lot faster.

There's not a lot left for SunOS 4. I had the same problem with my Solbournes, which run OS/MP (essentially a licensed 4.1.3 with a modified kernel for the Sol MMU). I think you can find old lynx binaries in some distant corner of the net, and maybe an early version of pico, but I would be very surprised if you found a functional Python or MySQL.

I can put up some of the stuff I have, including a not impossibly old gcc, which you can use to build better stuff. I also have Perl 5.003, which is enough to run the Perl scripts I need to run.

I don't know of anywhere with the SunOS 4 patches anymore, but if anyone had them, it would probably be somewhere on Bitsavers.

Why do you need DHCP to get network on the Sparcstation? Are you on a network that will filter you if you try just setting a static IP?

Why do you need DHCP to get network on the Sparcstation? Are you on a network that will filter you if you try just setting a static IP?

I'm not sure my router supports IP reservations... so my network connection would be DSL Router --- wifi --> Ethernet bridge ---> hub --- -> sparcstation
I could download everything on my netbook, plug it in to the local hub and set it up as local ftp server or what not.

There's not a lot left for SunOS 4. I had the same problem with my Solbournes, which run OS/MP (essentially a licensed 4.1.3 with a modified kernel for the Sol MMU). I think you can find old lynx binaries in some distant corner of the net, and maybe an early version of pico, but I would be very surprised if you found a functional Python or MySQL.

I can put up some of the stuff I have, including a not impossibly old gcc, which you can use to build better stuff. I also have Perl 5.003, which is enough to run the Perl scripts I need to run.

I don't know of anywhere with the SunOS 4 patches anymore, but if anyone had them, it would probably be somewhere on Bitsavers.

pico & nano are just so much easier for editing text files than vi.
My default for scripting would by python just because I use it frequently at work. The NI documentation covers a few languages for GPIB communication, I could also need to send commands and data log via serial.
I also use SQL for database storage at work but something simpler is probably more appropriate for that tasks I want it to do.

SunOS is pretty responsive to me so far and GPIB drivers where only public released for SunOS4. Solaris drivers where at one time available for purchase but they can no longer be bought and I have had no luck finding them on the web. From what little I tried Solaris it seemed to be quite a bit more bloated

I hadn't heard of bitsavers before... sadly the Sun section is pretty empty.

pico & nano are just so much easier for editing text files than vi.
My default for scripting would by python just because I use it frequently at work. The NI documentation covers a few languages for GPIB communication, I could also need to send commands and data log via serial.
I also use SQL for database storage at work but something simpler is probably more appropriate for that tasks I want it to do.

SunOS is pretty responsive to me so far and GPIB drivers where only public released for SunOS4. Solaris drivers where at one time available for purchase but they can no longer be bought and I have had no luck finding them on the web. From what little I tried Solaris it seemed to be quite a bit more bloated

I hadn't heard of bitsavers before... sadly the Sun section is pretty empty.

you're in Seattle, talk to Bear Striklin (typewritten.org)

I've been running Solaris 2.6 on my Sparcstation 10 and I'm a bit disappointed due to bloat. I've been thinking about installing SunOS 4.1.4 instead. I would be interested if there is a repository of open source binaries and/or decent instructions on how to build GCC 3 for SunOS 4.1.4. I'm not even sure if its possible and/or what the requirements would be to do so from scratch. Any suggestions?

I've been running Solaris 2.6 on my Sparcstation 10 and I'm a bit disappointed due to bloat. I've been thinking about installing SunOS 4.1.4 instead. I would be interested if there is a repository of open source binaries and/or decent instructions on how to build GCC 3 for SunOS 4.1.4. I'm not even sure if its possible and/or what the requirements would be to do so from scratch. Any suggestions?

I am not sure using GCC 3 would be that much advantage, there are plenty of instances where using a newer version version makes thinks WAY harder.

I'm not sure my router supports IP reservations... so my network connection would be DSL Router --- wifi --> Ethernet bridge ---> hub --- -> sparcstation...

On most home routers the IP reservation function is intended for clients that you want to use DHCP on but want them to come up at a specific address. (IE, you create a mapping between the MAC address of a particular interface card and an IP.) There's nothing in there that says you *have* to use DHCP at all, though. IE, if your home network is, say, 192.168.1.0/24 and the dynamic DHCP pool is 192.168.1.10 through 200 there's no reason you can't just set a system to 192.168.1.201 and have it work.

I mean, sure, sometimes you'll see on public portals security set up so networking will only be available to clients that *have* dhcp'ed, but it would seem odd to me you'd have that at home, unless there's something about your wifi->ethernet bridge that depends on it.

Back