• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SWTPc 6800 vs. Altair 680

billdeg

Technician
Are the programs from the SWTPc 6800 interchangeable with the Altair 680? Is there a good web reference that compares these two?

More/Update:
I have a working SWTPc 6800 and "SWTPc/Motorola" teletapes (programs for assembler, editor, etc). My plan is to load the tapes into memory of the SWTPc, perform whatever edits I need to apply while the program is in memory and then re-save to a new teletape for the Altair 680. I would then in theory load the tape on the 680 and viola it will work and the heavens will sing. There are a number of missing pieces to my plan (my teletype has a power problem to be fixed, I have never actually used a teletype before, I need an S I/O card for the Altair 680)...minor issues, ha ha

It's experimenting that's fun, I don't care if it takes 2 years to figure it all out.

Last edited:
Follow up to SWTPc and Altair 680b compatibilities

Follow up to SWTPc and Altair 680b compatibilities

Kilobaud Issue #8 (Aug 1977) has an article that does a good job (although some of it is over my head at present) of explaining how to convert the SWTPC 4K BASIC for implementation on the 680b.

At some point I will type up the article and the accompanying chart of "patches to SWTPC 4K BASIC v 1.0", but if anyone wants it before I make it available, let me know.

Back