• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SWTPC Co-Res and 8K BASIC v2.3 tape data available

bzotto

Experienced Member
A while back I came by a couple original cassette tapes from SWTPC including the Co-Resident Editor/Assembler and the 2.3 version of 8K BASIC. I archived the data and you can find them both in folders on @deramp5113 's software site here. These program versions seem to have been not easily found previously, so hopefully this is useful for folks out there now or in future.

I have both tapes and manuals. I bought them in the 70's from SWTPC. I had no idea anybody was looking for them.

I don’t know if anyone was! 😂 I just noticed that I didn’t find archived copies those ones easily available so I thought I’d contribute.

I think there is probably a lot of cassette software in particular from the late 70s that is sitting in collections/barns/closets that has not been “archived” as such yet. The 8080 and 6800 machine communities and companies were just orders of magnitude smaller than what came after and many tapes have been lost forever because heirs and others likely assumed they were just audio tapes and trashed or goodwilled them.

Anyway I have a well calibrated Nakamichi deck and functioning workflow for the Kansas City tape standard if anyone out there has OEM SWTPC, Sphere, or other KC tapes and needs a hand with preservation.

I have both tapes and manuals. I bought them in the 70's from SWTPC. I had no idea anybody was looking for them.
If you have a copy of the v2.3 swtpc 8K basic manual, any chance you could scan and post pages 19 and 20? These are missing from all the online v2.3 pdfs I’ve seen including on mike’s deramp site with the binaries.

I believe page 19 was the ascii table, same as in the v2.0 manual, but page 20 contained the 2.3 memory map w/comments which would be useful to make the v2.3 manual complete.

I only have low res snaps (blurry but just legible) of the missing pages 19 and 20.

4F183423-D8A6-4B9C-B566-70A22F433938.jpeg51CBED65-A9A2-4098-B0AB-11125F149109.jpeg

Thanks!

Stan

Thank you both for your efforts. I've uploaded the complete version of the manual to the SWTPC section on the deramp website.

Mike

Back