• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

System 7.6 - partition sizes

Megatron-uk

Experienced Member
I've recently acquired a nice IIci with a Daystar 040 turbo, Radius 24bit display, network card and a healthy amount of ram (80mb).

I'm planning on replacing the existing 160mb SCSI-1 drive with a IDSC21 SCSI/IDE bridge and a IDE/CF adapter. I'll be installing System 7.6.

I believe I need to keep the system partition down to a certain size on System 7, but is there a limitation to the size of any other partitions? i.e. can I split an 8G drive into 1Gb for the system and have a 7Gb applications/games partition on a machine this old and without HFS+?

AFAIK, HFS can in theory handle a 4 GiB volume (albeit with considerable wasted space due to large allocation units, a bit like trying to use FAT16 on a very large volume only not that bad), but most software was written using signed quantities — so a fair bit of software barfs when a partition exceeds 2 GiB. IIRC, Mac OS 7 is among the offenders, but I can’t swear to that part.

Addendum: I believe the errors were more cosmetic regarding free space calculation than anything else, so 4 GiB was still usable if you didn’t mind being startled by weird numbers in the Finder.

Last edited:
I've recently acquired a nice IIci with a Daystar 040 turbo, Radius 24bit display, network card and a healthy amount of ram (80mb).

I'm planning on replacing the existing 160mb SCSI-1 drive with a IDSC21 SCSI/IDE bridge and a IDE/CF adapter. I'll be installing System 7.6.

I believe I need to keep the system partition down to a certain size on System 7, but is there a limitation to the size of any other partitions? i.e. can I split an 8G drive into 1Gb for the system and have a 7Gb applications/games partition on a machine this old and without HFS+?
I think the support for large volume (>4GB) in 7.6 is limited to 68040 and PowerPC Macs.

IIRC nothing larger that 4 Gb ...

I did that with an ide drive in a quadra 630 and a 8.4 gb drive

Back