• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

System Disk for Compaq SLT286

Mr_Blah

I have been trying to operate a Compaq SLT286 I found in my garage not so long ago. I think the BIOS battery is dead as every time I boot, it comes up with "162-System Options not Set"

I placed the diagnostics program onto a floppy disk and insert it into the laptop. It then comes up with this message:

"No Systemdisk. Booting from harddisk
Cannot load from harddisk.
Insert Systemdisk and press any key."

What kind of System Disk does it need as it doesn't specify? As well, do you know how to shut the computer down from the DOS Prompt?

If you d/l the diagnostic disk image from Compaq's website, the soft-pak will create a bootable disk. You should then be able to use the setup program. After setting it up, any ol' version of DOS will work on it.

--T

What is it meant to do when it runs the diagnostic disk? It just clears the screen and comes up with diskette created by MagicISO and then says it needs the system disk.

Mr_Blah said:
What is it meant to do when it runs the diagnostic disk? It just clears the screen and comes up with diskette created by MagicISO and then says it needs the system disk.

Sounds like you've got a bad copy that someone has made. Get one from Compaq's website.

--T

Do you need to put the diagnostics disk onto a 720kb floppy disk? I'm using 1.44mb disks as they are the only I can find.

Hey, I tried to run the Diagnostics program on both a 1.44mb and 720kb floppy disk and they both came out with the same message.

I don't know if this helps either but one time when a placed the diagnostics disk in, it executed and the screen showed it doing something like checking the harddrive and then went into MS-DOS. I think I didn't shut the computer down properly as it had run out of battery and the next time I booted the laptop, it came up with needing a system disk.

I have 2 sets of all of the system disks (which include the System Options Disk) for a Compaq Portable 386 if its any help. It should since I accidentally booted it on a ThinkPad once. I put a copy of my Compaq System Options disk on a 3.5 floppy it the computer didn't care either way, just as long as I gave it the disk it wanted. They originally are on 5.25 floppies of unknown capacity.

Hope some of that helps

-Vlad

P.S these disks seem to be Model Independent since it never asks for any specific model and accidentally booted on an IBM ThinkPad.

Back