• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

T1000 battery pinout

My gut feeling, based on lots of very very similar reports, is that the PSU circuitry in these things is trash.

At this point I'd be very much inclined, if I could find enough schematics to identify where the PSU circuitry is connected to the power bus, to just cut the lines and replace the whole module with a modern, very small power conditioning board. But the whole thing is such a maze that I haven't found where to do that. Finding the +5V line is fairly simple as it's routed to all the ICs but there are some other, odder voltages used by the LCD.

I can confirm your suspicions concerning the on-board power supply circuitry in the Tosh T1000. I was into these machines almost 25 years ago (oh my God) and they would break like a Chinese motorcycle, even way back then when they were relatively new.

The typical mode was fading screen contrast which very soon led to a blank and useless screen. I have three of them and at least two died this way - don't recall the fate of the third. It's really a shame they're such crap, as they're otherwise a very neat little machine..

Mine's in really nice condition, too. No browning at all. Nice keyboard as well, even if it is ANSI; obviously not as nice as my 5140 Convertible, but still.

I have two Toshibas, both non booting. The other one's a T3100SX. That one actually worked until I somehow fried it. I still haven't figured out what went wrong or why; I'd replaced the PSU board with a custom one, and everything was fine until I tried splicing in a negative voltage generator to try and get the serial port working. At which point there were various strange noises and over a period of about five minutes it died completely. I have a T1100LE on the way; hopefully this one will survive longer...

(The T3100SX has the gorgeous VGA orange gas plasma screen. I think it's a fairly standard pinout, too. Hmm...)

Back