• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking

Dougtronics

Experienced Member
Does anyone offer or would be willing to offer repair service or refurbishing services of TM-100 Disk Drive? I personally have a fcouple of TM-100 not reading the disk. It was reading ten years ago. I think is the mechanical part has some age promblem. It is still not working after I lubricated them. All my disk have been checked and are in good shape.

Modren Equipment:
PC over 2 Ghz with Windows XP home
Compaq persario 2100 with Windows XP home
Acer Laptop with Windows Vista Prem
Dell Laptop with Windows Vista Prem

Vintage Equipment:
Kaypro II
Kaypro 2

Have you tried cleaning the heads?
That's where I find most of my problems.
Old disks can make for dirty heads.
There's plenty of threads about that on this forum, if you do a search.

Gee, thanks for the reference, Lorne LOL

It was just a hunch, but I thought the OP might of been wanting them back in Imperial rather than Metric time (like in 2009 US time).

Seriously (and as long as Druid is over his infection/drug problem), he can fix/repair your drives, no problem.

And as an added bonus, if his standard rates are still the same, it won't cost you any more, but he'll feel like he's getting a whole lot less, since the USD has tanked in comparison with the CAD (and every other currency for that matter).

Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking

Have you tried cleaning the heads?
That's where I find most of my problems.
Old disks can make for dirty heads.
There's plenty of threads about that on this forum, if you do a search.

I have done all the cleaning and lubricating. The heads still not moving back and fore to read disks. Disks have been checked by other kaypro and is ok

Thanks,

Dougtronics

I've seen TM-100's with bad stepper (positioner) drivers. There were at least 3 versions of the TM-100 electronics board, each with its own endearing characteristics (Tandon used 6, 4 and 3-wire steppers on the TM-100 drives). I've also seen at least one TM-100 with a shorted winding in the positioner stepper.

PM me if you want me to have a look at the drive.

I've seen TM-100's with bad stepper (positioner) drivers. There were at least 3 versions of the TM-100 electronics board, each with its own endearing characteristics (Tandon used 6, 4 and 3-wire steppers on the TM-100 drives). I've also seen at least one TM-100 with a shorted winding in the positioner stepper.

PM me if you want me to have a look at the drive.

You mean you like to look at my drive? You are welcome and tell me how? I also want to know, is there any way to test the stepper drivers?

Dougtronics

You mean you like to look at my drive? You are welcome and tell me how? I also want to know, is there any way to test the stepper drivers?

Do I like? No--I've seen more of these drives than I really care to. On the other hand, I can probably identify the problem more quickly with the drive in front of me than it takes to post about it. Your option.

To check the stepper drivers, step the drive and check the waveforms at the stepper leads. There's also a Sam's for this drive, which might also be a good starting point for a do-it-yourself-er.

Do I like? No--I've seen more of these drives than I really care to. On the other hand, I can probably identify the problem more quickly with the drive in front of me than it takes to post about it. Your option.

To check the stepper drivers, step the drive and check the waveforms at the stepper leads. There's also a Sam's for this drive, which might also be a good starting point for a do-it-yourself-er.

What is Sam's title description? Anybody got a copy?

Dougtronics

I don't have a Sams document but I do have a Tandon TM100 Operating and Service Manual.pdf.

Click here to get it. Let me know when (or if) you have it. I don't want to leave it on my website longer than I have to.

Tez

Does that link get you the info on the Sams, or the actual Sams?
(I can't figure out how to find/get it from that site).

There was a Sams for the Tandon drives that went on Ebay a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I took second place in that auction (I must be too cheap). I emailed the seller to ask if he had another copy, and if not, if he would ask the buyer if I could get/buy a scan of it. He emailed back yesterday that he's forwarded the request to the buyer.
I'll have to wait and see.

The link I posted was just the openlibrary card catalog entry for it. You might also check wtih Ira Goldklang who does have a scanned copy of the Computerfact.

Ok, when you get tired of screwing around with it and want it serviced by somone that's been doing it since before IBM had personal computers, drop me a line.

We went through the same routine with Lorne's TPI drives and nothing worked until he sent them to me.

Ok, when you get tired of screwing around with it and want it serviced by somone that's been doing it since before IBM had personal computers, drop me a line.

Dru,

Better you than me. I hate the bloody cheap things. I'll bet TM-100s account for 80% of the 5.25" drive questions posted here.

Did you know that those awful JTS made-in-India IDE hard drives were yet another Jugi Tandon (hence the name) venture?

Logic Probe,Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking

Logic Probe,Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking

I found my copy and scanned it.
Available at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/manuals/Tandon_TM100-2.pdf (3 MB)
Yes, I know the link is slow. Better than nothing.

Thanks, I made a copy already. I plan to strip the TM-100 to bare bone, need all kind of help I can get. I think I need a logic probe. I plan to build one. Any good suggestion.

Dougtronics

Back