• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandon TM100-2A spin motor issue

Thank you for the advice, I will try to locate and replace the parts. I tried to turn the screw on the variable resistor in both directions and it don't make noticeable changes, only slows the motor a bit when reaching one end...

Thank you for the advice, I will try to locate and replace the parts. I tried to turn the screw on the variable resistor in both directions and it don't make noticeable changes, only slows the motor a bit when reaching one end...

Did you do the service checks on page III of Sams Computerfacts yet? There's no use replacing parts if it's not the servo board that's the problem.

Did you do the service checks on page III of Sams Computerfacts yet? There's no use replacing parts if it's not the servo board that's the problem.

Yes I did, and also tried the servo board of a working drive on this one. I have isolated the problem, it is the servo board.

I bought a LM2917 and a TIP110 (4.50€ both, ICs are expensive here!) removed the original parts and put these in their place... the motor started to spin at normal rates. After adjusting the speed trimmer, now the drive is working again!

But it happened a strange thing: The drive was connected to the integrated controller of a Pentium motherboard, it booted from a 360k floppy formatted and written by a 1,2 HD drive. After putting the drive back into the 5150 and connect it to its original FDD controller, it couldn't boot from that floppy (it reports Non system disk error).
Norton Utilities Disk Test finds lots of unreadable sectors, while in the pentium board there weren't errors reading the disk with the same Disk Test...

Apart from that, the drive reads fine the 360k disks written by itself or by the other Tandon 360k drive. So I declare it fixed.
Thanks for all your advice!

Apart from that, the drive reads fine the 360k disks written by itself or by the other Tandon 360k drive. So I declare it fixed.
Thanks for all your advice!

It seems like therse drives has to be optimally calibrated to work with disks formated in HD drives, and any tampering with the settings may cause those disks to not read. Formating DD disks in HD drives is a bad idea anyways due to unrelaiability.

I know this thread is ancient, but I wanted to revive it to say that I also just repaired a TM100-2A by replacing the darlington (TIP110) on the motor driver board. Similar to what was described earlier, I noticed that when I replaced the belt with a new production one from Console5, the additional drag was enough to prevent the drive from coming up to speed.

Now it works perfectly!

Further testing has revealed this to be a false positive. Still having intermittent issues with maintaining rotational speed :mad:

Further testing has revealed this to be a false positive. Still having intermittent issues with maintaining rotational speed :mad:
I would do a careful inspection of the capacitors on the drive motor board. I have had two where the caps leaked and had no idea until the drive started acting up. Spinning problems and then no spin at all. I have a thread there, somewhere, with pics. Even if the caps aren't leaking, they might be out of spec enough to cause an issue.

I would do a careful inspection of the capacitors on the drive motor board. I have had two where the caps leaked and had no idea until the drive started acting up. Spinning problems and then no spin at all. I have a thread there, somewhere, with pics. Even if the caps aren't leaking, they might be out of spec enough to cause an issue.
I've already replaced them. Only things left are the LM2917 and the motor itself

Back