• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 floppy advice

Thatguyagain

Hi,
Im trying to reserect a tandy 1000 with some problems and am seeking advice.
Ive got the memory plus card repaired (two d ram chips) and the hard card is on its way out (seek error reading drive c) but boots into the ms-dos 5 that was on the drive. Ive written the hard card off as a loss but im trying to use it to help get a floppy drive working since i can boot and run a dir on drive a and b.
Both original teac fd-54b-02-u drives error out with a drive not ready and will not spin. Im guessing the photo sensors are bad in both and ive deep cleaned both. I have a teac fd-55gfr 149-u drive kicking around i got from a friend that is a known good drive. I installed it by itself and it errors out as a general failure reading drive a. The light comes on, it spins up, and the head appears to seek. Ive tried reading multiply disks. The jumpers are on D0, FG, U1, and DC all others are open.
Does anyone have some advice or insite? Id like to get a drive reading so i can boot it from a disk. After that i was going to install a blue lava xt-cf bootable card into it, and ditch the hard card.
I tried making and formatting a master disk image onto the cf card using my windows 10 and utube and have failed so far.

The FD-55GFR is a 1.2 MB drive. IIRC, the Tandy 1000 only supports 360K drives. Did you check the power supplies? The floppies need +12V for the motor.

When I first got my Tandy 1000, everything seemed to work except the floppy. +12V was dead coming out of the PS. I replaced the PS with a Mean Well switching one internally.

Yes, i have +12v coming out of the power supply. I have removed and inspected it for leaking caps and other weirdness. The wires all tested out as the correct voltages and polarities.

The 1.2mb drive more then likely explains the general drive failure, i completely missed that. That means ill have to hunt around for one or preferably two half height 360k drives that are tandy compatible.

Well folks were making progress. Got a 360k drive so i can now boot into 2.11. Now im to the point im trying to get the cf card to work. I did a debug low level format and i tring to copy the master disk into the card.

Well folks were making progress. Got a 360k drive so i can now boot into 2.11. Now im to the point im trying to get the cf card to work. I did a debug low level format and i tring to copy the master disk into the card.
CF cards do not require a low level format.

Back