• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 RL and a XT-CF lite rev.2

geiger9

So I bought the XT-CF lite v2 from Tex Elec. According to the FAQ https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/XT-CF-lite_FAQ you have to flash the BIOS of the card when using a Tandy 1000 RL. I am unable to do this in my RL because the floppy is busted so I put the card in another old machine. The computer recognizes it at boot and there's a line that says the base address is d800. I go to the use the flash utility and type "flash offr566.bin d800" and it gives me two errors. One is "unable to determine flash chip type" and the other is "expected FFh, but found 0055h. Erase operation FAILED."

The only card in this other machine is a video card so there shouldn't be any conflicts happening with the cf lite?

The FAQ is not really geared toward a complete newbie like myself when it comes to these things so I'm lost. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else got one of these cards to work in a Tandy 1000 RL? How do I make this work?

Well just in case anyone on the internet finds themselves in this exact predicament, here's what I did to resolve my problem:

1. disabled the onboard floppy disk controller in my Win9x machine.
2. rebooted in DOS mode.
3. flash offr566.bin D800

Then it flashed the BIOS successfully.

However, if you are someone like me and you don't have a working floppy drive then you are still out of luck because the RL still won't recognize the card. I have a bad feeling at this point that I need to run setuprl but I can't do that since I don't have a working floppy drive.

Back