• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

TANDY 1000 RL/HD with Keyb./Mouse

dr.zeissler

Experienced Member
Hi, i am searching for an working Tandy 1000 RL/HD in a good condition.

I only need the machine and the keyboard/mouse. I have an Multiscan-Monitor EUM-1491 (9pin).
In germany there is no market for these machines. I will never get one here in germany.

Thx
Doc!

Last edited:
interesting reviews of this machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0q3IS5Tyk
http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/RLRLX.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0o-TyFEWA

according to this reviews, i think the RL/HD is the best machine for me. small and quiet.
the TL/2 is a 286@8mhz, the 1000 RL/HD has a 8086 so it is an XT-Class machine.
will I have problems with the lower cpu-speed for the tandy-compatible games.

how much will i have to pay in order to get an 1000RL/HD with Keyb/mouse in nice condition ?

Doc

Last edited:
Good question. Could be anywhere from $25 to $300. Keep an eye out for them on eBay / Craigslist / Vintage Computer Forum / Old Computers and so on. Then shipping to the EU. You can use my address in the US in case you would like. I can then mail it to DE.

Thx, are you the same guy then PeterNY from the Dosforum.de ?
what will be the shipping costs for such a machine (1000RL/HD) ?

Last edited:
Keep trying. Perseverance is very important: there is a big cultural difference between the EU and US/CA when it comes to buying and selling. :)

Still don't understand why the RL/HD. Besides the size difference, the lack of expansion slots make it less than ideal for personal use.

I think the RL/HD the RLX/HD and the RSX/HD as small, economical versions of the 1000 that were a bit more modern, yet just as capable. I have an RLX, even only with 1mb ram supported it is still the snappiest 286 I have ever owned, and it's a good tweener machine, it's got 1.44mb floppies, you can put a backpack parallel whatever on the back, give it scsi. The RL you could do almost all the same things, except it has a 720kb floppy drive *I may be wrong here*, The RSX was 386 based and actually capable of running windows 95 albeit slowly, I replaced the rsx with a 2500hd. But for your purposes, the RL should serve you well.

I am interesed in entry-dos-gaming, therefore the tandy 1000rl/hd is the best machine. A lot of early Dosgames support the Tandy GFX/SFX, because of this you get the best experiance with a tandy machine. It's true that my favorite machine only supports on 8bit-isa slot. I already thought about this. My favorite Card is a LPT1 with Gameport. This is helpfull in order to get the Zipdrive working (i bought "palmzip" already) and the gameport is usefull to get an analoge Joystick working.

What are the alternatives:
- 8 Bit Ram-Card (not usefull, because the machine can only support up to 768KB and this can be done onboard)
- 8 Bit VGA-Card (not usefull, because I want Tandy GFX/SFX)
- 8 Bit Soundcard Adlib/Soundblaster (this might be usefull, because not all Tandy GFX-Supporting Games, support the 3-Voice Sound (~780 Games with Tandy-GFX, ~460 Games Tandy-3Voice, ~80 Games Tandy Dac-Support)
- 8 Bit MPU401i Card (this might be usefull)

I will use my Schneider 386sx in order to support VGA, Soundblaster, Midi, but I need an entry class xt-machine with wiede support for the special abilities of the Tandy-Machine.

Doc

I need an entry class dosmachine which supports the tandy-capabilities (GFX/SFX) therefore the RL/HD is the smallest machine.

I have chosen the RL/HD because I need an entry Dos-Gaming-Machine with wide Software-Support for the Tandy-GFX/SFX.
Mobygames lists more the 700 Games that use the Tandy-GFX, more then 400 support the Tandy-SFX and about 80 support the Dac.

I already thought about the 8Bit slot:

- 8Bit RAM-Card (useless, because 768K onboard)
- 8Bit Soundcard (Adlib, Soundblaster, MPU401i-Card, useless, because I want to use the 3Voice-Tandy sound.)
- 8Bit SCSI/IDE Controller (I want to use the 20MB Harddrive)
- 8Bit VGA-Card (useless, because I want the Tandy-GFX)
- 8Bit PrinterCard/Gamecard (usefull, because I can use my Zipdrive with the "palm zip" driver)

I am searching von any Demoscene-Content for the Tandy-Machines http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9939

Doc

Last edited:
If you want to use the RL as stock as possible, then I would put an 8-bit Ethernet card in the slot to facilitate transfers to and from the machine

I have chosen the RL/HD because I need an entry Dos-Gaming-Machine with wide Software-Support for the Tandy-GFX/SFX.
Mobygames lists more the 700 Games that use the Tandy-GFX, more then 400 support the Tandy-SFX and about 80 support the Dac.

I already thought about the 8Bit slot:

- 8Bit RAM-Card (useless, because 768K onboard)
- 8Bit Soundcard (Adlib, Soundblaster, MPU401i-Card, useless, because I want to use the 3Voice-Tandy sound.)
- 8Bit SCSI/IDE Controller (I want to use the 20MB Harddrive)
- 8Bit VGA-Card (useless, because I want the Tandy-GFX)
- 8Bit PrinterCard/Gamecard (usefull, because I can use my Zipdrive with the "palm zip" driver)

I am searching von any Demoscene-Content for the Tandy-Machines http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9939
Doc

Or use LapLink: less hassle and fast enough: how much can you really copy to a 20MB anyway. Plus: you can do drive mapping with a very small footprint with INTERLNK/SVR: fast enough for most 286 DOS games.

Back