• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandy 1000 series pricing

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
What is the deal with eBay sellers lately and Tandy 1000 series computer. What are they doing selling by the pound? Jeez there not made of gold the way those morons act. :confused:

I think a lot of the old computer stuff on ebay is equipment that the seller doesn't *really* want to get rid of, but everything has a price and some people have more money than sense, so they list it anyway. XD (TBH the "more money than sense" includes me sometimes, when it comes to certain items lol)

Just bookmark a search and keep checking. Something that is priced to sell will show up eventually, even if it needs a little TLC.

Doing a search for sold items I see plenty of Tandy 1000's that sold for a few hundred a piece.

The value of something is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

supply and demand is a thing too. These machines can only get more rare, and prices will probably only go up.

with the evergrowing popularity of Retrogaming youtubers, and the wave of retro nostalgia for gaming, especially Tandy 1000 machines i see in at least holding their value if not gaining value as time goes on.

I ended up with a Tandy 1000TL & CM-5 monitor because they were the only reasonably priced ones i could get my hands on.

Probably easier for those of you in the USA.

Last edited:
But you know what really makes me want to punch myself in the face until I fall asleep, for real?

When I think of all the 80s hardware that, in the mid 90s / early 00s, I got rid of or salvaged for parts. Ughhhhh. Won't make that mistake again!

But then again, maybe today's cheap/worthless 2000s computer hardware is different than the cheap/worthless 80s hardware of the 90s/00s. The earlier machines were interesting and diverse. The later machines are all just boring PCs that all look and work the same, from the era *after* computers became ubiquitous appliances, no different really than a blender or a washing machine.

Some of them go for $250+ for some reason, like the HX model. I don't really understand it... but when I find them in the wild, I clean them up and give them what they want.

The HX model reminded me of the Amiga 500 and 1200 so that is the model I went for. After I snagged it on ebay I ended up getting a junker HX for the RAM upgrade and then I installed the 2nd 3.5" floppy from the junker and also purchased an external 5.25" floppy drive. The only reason I have a Tandy 1000a is because I stumbled upon it at a recycler and paid under $10 for it including the keyboard. I also purchased a Tandy CM-5 monitor for the HX. The A1000 came with a Tandy monitor as well but it died shortly after I snagged it and I never bothered to look into fixing it (in the garage).

All this was done with pocket change a long time ago when shipping was cheap and nobody wanted anything Tandy related.

The HX has a sentimental attachment for me. My best friend in high school had one, and we used to play SSI AD&D games on that thing all weekend (when we weren't playing tabletop D&D, that is). Then his parents got divorced and he and his mom moved back to Mississippi and I never saw him again. Never really made that close a friend ever after that. So the ol' HX kind of brings some warmth back into my cold black shriveled heart. :p

I like all the Tandies, though. I mean, a saddle and holster company that ended up making computers. How cool is that?

Back