• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 SL and the XT_IDE Universal BIOS

heytbone

So, I've got a Tandy 1000 SL, and I was able to get a Compact Flash card to be detected with the XT-CF Rev 2 Compact Flash reader. However, I've been poking around with it and can't seem to format the drive. When I try to use a boot disk, it gives me problems saying that the disk isn't a system disk and to try again. So, I've even tried copying the files from the ROM onto a 3.5 inch floppy. Also, I've tried the Tandy 3.3 DOS files, but haven't had any luck there either. So, I'm wondering how to proceed forward so I can use the drive. My thought is maybe I configured it wrong? I Have 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppy drive in my Tandy. So drives A:, B:, and C: are already occupied and when attempting to boot from the flash card, it lists itself as C: which could be conflicting with the ROM chip. I'm not sure but it is a little confusing. Has anyone had a similar system setup and if so what did you do?

Last edited:
So, I've got a Tandy 1000 SL, and I was able to get a Compact Flash card to be detected with the XT-CF Rev 2 Compact Flash reader. However, I've been poking around with it and can't seem to format the drive. When I try to use a boot disk, it gives me problems saying that the disk isn't a system disk and to try again. So, I've even tried copying the files from the ROM onto a 3.5 inch floppy. Also, I've tried the Tandy 3.3 DOS files, but haven't had any luck there either. So, I'm wondering how to proceed forward so I can use the drive. My thought is maybe I configured it wrong? I Have 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppy drive in my Tandy. So drives A:, B:, and C: are already occupied and when attempting to boot from the flash card, it lists itself as C: which could be conflicting with the ROM chip. I'm not sure but it is a little confusing. Has anyone had a similar system setup and if so what did you do?
Here are the steps I use to prepare a Compact Flash drive for use on my Tandy 1000 SL

- Make sure to use the SETUPSL utility to set the computer to boot from Disk and not ROM
- Use the DISKPART utility on a Windows computer using a Compact Flash card reader and use the CLEAN command to completely wipe the Compact Flash disk
- Use a DOS 5.0 or greater boot diskette and do the following:
- Use FDISK to create a primary DOS partition and reboot
- Use FDISK /MBR to initialize the Master Boot Record on the Compact Flash Drive
- Use FORMAT to format the drive and make it bootable

I have a few problems now, when doing clean, the cleaning failed and now the flash card isn't recognized. It isn't able to be seen in Windows 10, but can be seen from DISKPART. Diskpart hangs now and doesn't run. The card is not recognized either by the Card Reader in the Tandy 1000 SL. So, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Only thing I would add to that is that I tried using a DOS 6.22 boot disk's FDISK to create the partition, and that didn't work. For me only DOS 5.0's FDISK works properly.

So, after more tinkering, I was able to get the drive to be read, and I made a 6.22 bootdisk from my PS/2 Machine. I copied the FDisk and format files onto the drive, and did some more poking, and got everything setup. I was so excited. Then, as I was about to reboot to put in the system disks... the monitor died. You can't make this up. So, at least my tandy is still working. I'm not sure what to do. I might have to go Adrian's Digital Basement on fixing the CGA monitor or look on line for a new one. I appreciate the help from both of you guys.

Last edited:
Back