• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 TL/2 no post, 3.5" floppy drive light on

dja4055

Hi everyone, "bare bones" TL/2 system with no add-in cards or hard drive, just the 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drive. where do I start troubleshooting this problem? I have basic to intermediate electronic skill, I can read a meter. Only signs of life appear to be the 3.5" floppy light constantly on. There is a very short click or pop from the speaker the moment the power is turned on. When I connect an old Samsung amber Hercules monitor when the system is off, the screen is entirely amber - but screen turns black on power on with no cursor or any activity.

Standard old school startup trouble shooting says that a floppy light that is on constantly means that the floppy cable was installed upside-down/backwards. The problem is that the Tandy's of that era were powered through the floppy cable. If there is an aftermarket floppy in there or the cable isn't setup right you'll play heck getting the system to post.

Check that the chips are all seated and that the jumpers are set correctly. Then I'd strip the floppies and try to find a CGA video card and see if it posts. The Video could have been software disabled using the TL/2 Setup.

Back