• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandy 1000 TX - Anyone want to part with one?

Overlord_Jett

Hey guys, I'm desperately trying to get my hands on a Tandy 1000 TX system, but it has to possess certain hardware. If anyone is willing to part with their system, feel free to contact me at derek_artist@hotmail.com, shoot me an offer and let's get talking!

Okay, just a few things. Does your Tandy have....

1) A monitor, capable of outputting VGA?
2) A VGA card?
3) A built-in hard drive (if so how big?)
4) At least 640K of RAM (preferably higher but not necessary)?
5) TWO disk drives...one 5 1/4", one 3.5" Double-Density drive?
6) That SWEET speaker that made Tandys so amazing when it came to sound?
7) Volume control knob? I assume TX's all have them, but I'm no expert.

If necessary I'm willing to pay for shipping and all that. Basically I'm just a Tandy/Dos enthusiast who wants to play the old games the way they were meant to be played. DosBox doesn't cut it for me anymore!

2) A VGA card?

I think you meant for #1 and #2 to be mutually exclusive. Meaning, it either has an RGB monitor and displays Tandy 16-color graphics, or a VGA card so that you can use your own monitor. Right?

Part of the charm of owning a Tandy is to get 16-color graphics and 3-voice sound on games that would normally only give you 1-voice beeper sound and/or just 4-color CGA graphics. So I would lean that way instead of asking about VGA (installing a VGA card will DISable the Tandy 16-color graphics).

VGA Card

VGA Card

Hey Trixter, to be honest I can't quite remember how the VGA thing goes. I remember my friend who owned a TX (I had an SX), and his was displaying VGA graphics in King's Quest 5 and a few other latter-era Sierra games. I could've sworn he was using a Tandy monitor, but maybe I'm completely wrong on that one! Whichever combo outputs VGA of that level, that's what I'm looking for, so feel free to give me a suggestion and I'll definitely go with that, thanks!

Hey guys, I'm desperately trying to get my hands on a Tandy 1000 TX system, but it has to possess certain hardware. If anyone is willing to part with their system, feel free to contact me at derek_artist@hotmail.com, shoot me an offer and let's get talking!

2) A VGA card?
3) A built-in hard drive (if so how big?)
4) At least 640K of RAM (preferably higher but not necessary)?
5) TWO disk drives...one 5 1/4", one 3.5" Double-Density drive?
6) That SWEET speaker that made Tandys so amazing when it came to sound?
7) Volume control knob? I assume TX's all have them, but I'm no expert.

If necessary I'm willing to pay for shipping and all that. Basically I'm just a Tandy/Dos enthusiast who wants to play the old games the way they were meant to be played. DosBox doesn't cut it for me anymore!

1) As was mentioned, any VGA monitor, pretty much, will do.
2) No, but I have 8-bit VGA cards Also has built-in RGB and TTL
3) Yes, WD344R based hard card - 41MB Goes for around $150 itself
4) Yes plus I have the chips to upgrade it.
5) Yes, 720K and 360K
6) Yes
7) Yes

Also have a keyboard, seeing as they are non-standard.

Last edited:
Back