• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 102 File Transfers

Leofan7

Hello again. Got another question. I've been playing with file transfer methods with my Tandy 102 and none seem to work. I've tried installing Teeny, but it never detects the laptop and closes. I've also tried moving files via TELCOM and Hyperterminal to no avail. I've made sure to match the baud rates and other settings on both the Tandy and my computer, and there is only one serial port on my computer, so I know I have it in the right port.

Another odd anomaly has occurred when fiddling with the COM ports. Whenever Hyperterminal tries to use the modem cable connected to my Tandy, the screen on the Tandy always seems to darken or lighten whenever I click the connect or disconnect button. Very odd.

Just asking for some suggestions on stuff to try. Hopefully I'm not pestering ya'll with all of my probably simple questions. I guess that's what I get when I buy a computer three years older than I! Anyway, thanks and I look forward to your replies.

Can't help ya with Winderz, I never had much luck either. If ya got a DOS machine around, the DOS 'Copy' command works just fine. First, set your COM: port using the 'Mode' command, so the parameters match those of the T102, then "COPY <filename> COM1:" and then start the upload from the 102, using TELCOM. Be sure to keep the port speeds down to 9600 (if on-screen readout isn't important), or 1200, since the LCD on the Tandy can't keep up at any faster speed. Some people have reported transfer speeds up to 19,200, but I've had much better luck with 9600 or less.

--T

I get TELECOM and Hyperterminal to work fine on M100. I use xon/xoff flow control, 9600 baud and "text only" type sending. For .CO files, I turn them into Hex files first, send that across, then turn em back into .CO files. I found the basic programs to do all that on web8201.com I think it was.

I never thought of setting Hyperterminal to text only. I haven't seen that option. I'll fiddle with that.

Well, I've tried pretty much everything I could think of. Every program that I use just can't seem to detect the Tandy. The screen flickering thing still happens whenever I utilize the COM port while it's in plugged in to the 102. Maybe the COM port on the laptop is bad? I also checked the pinout on my cable, and it was correct. I'm stumped!

As Erik recently posted somewhere, you can take a paper clip, bend it into a tight U and short pins 2 & 3 together. In Telecom and Hyperterminal, it should echo each key typed on the screen if the comm port on that device is working. All my cables are "almost correct null modem" cables, meaning that the hardware flow control signals are shorted together on each end (CTS_RTS) so the flow control doesn't really talk to the other side. When I have it all hooked up, I type a char on the one machine and it shows up on the other screen.

My null-modem:

Code:
db-25___(pin #)___db-25

2 <----------------------> 3
3 <----------------------> 2
4 <----------------------> 5
5 <----------------------> 4
7 <----------------------> 7
6 +
8 +----------------------> 20
20 <---------------------+ 6
                         + 8

Works fine for PC <--> M100 textfile transfers.

--T

Now that one is a real FULL null modem, where flow control gets passed from one device to the other.

Now that one is a real FULL null modem, where flow control gets passed from one device to the other.

I just use a "Comp Link" cable from M100.com and it works fine for me. That pinout, although I don't have it handy, is a real simple 3-wire cable with a loopback at the PC-side connector. If you configure the PC side for 96008N1 and Xon/Xoff, it should work fine.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get a good DB-25 shell that fits the tight space on the M100 side? I've tried two or three different types and none clear the casing around the connector.

On closer inspection, I do believe my pinout is wrong. I just got the pinout for the CompLink cable and will make it when I get the parts.

Back