• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1100FD

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I finally got around to ordering a new floppy belt (from Japan) and installed it, the drive works nicely now.

I have 2 issues with the unit still.

1: The spacebar does not seem to work, any clue how to fix it?

2: The original battery pack is not leaking, but it doesn't light up the low battery light on the unit either. What should that light be doing with a dead battery (I asume it is dead). I will double check the cable is still plugged in for the light.

Dont know about anyone else...

but I would VERY MUCH appreciate info you have on the floppy drive (model, etc)
AND where you got the new belt for it... as any drive I manage to get for my 1500HD will likely need one too!

Cant help with the spacebar issue except to check the keyboard connections again... as far as #2 is concerned,
my 1500 would show a good battery (green) even tho the batt is GARBAGE!!!
That is, until I checked and replaced every bad fuse... specifically the one that was 1.25 (upgraded to 1.5 per docs).
NOW it at least shows it charging... as much as it will! :)

The moral of the story? Check ALL the fuses for continuity... if you dont get it, the fuse is bad...

I mickey-moused some mini-round ones into the 1500 temporarily... I am certain that something more 'permanent' will be forthcoming!

Oh... an ebay item. Was hoping it was a LEGIT site... :shock:

I picked up a couple of drives there.... were TOO cheap... but think ONE of them is a matsu drive...
hoping it is in good enuf shape (and compatible enuf too!) to swap in... or at least swap parts.

I finally got around to ordering a new floppy belt (from Japan) and installed it, the drive works nicely now.

I have 2 issues with the unit still.

1: The spacebar does not seem to work, any clue how to fix it?

2: The original battery pack is not leaking, but it doesn't light up the low battery light on the unit either. What should that light be doing with a dead battery (I asume it is dead). I will double check the cable is still plugged in for the light.

Another thought...
Have you checked ALL OTHER keys? IF more than just the spacebar is dead, the keyboard connections may need re-seating.

FWIW. :D

All the other keys seem to work. Havn't done much with the system but the light for the battery did flicker when first powered on so it is connected correctly.

In that case I'd say the battery is full-scale 'broken' and should not be on (in?) there. It might... toss a fuse! :D

Having said that, I have previously had a battery do that... and eventually it would 'charge' tho it never really 'took' it.

Last edited:
Those belts seems a little cheaper then what I paid, but no idea if it will work on a 1500. Still not that expensive to try.

Those belts seems a little cheaper then what I paid, but no idea if it will work on a 1500. Still not that expensive to try.

The second one seems the safest bet (it lists the same supported models MSX machines as the one you linked originally), and it's supposed to be made by Panasonic. I'm going to order 2, keep one as a spare (or maybe also revive the 1100FD I have dismantelled, which I never got around to fixing the floppy on, either).

The second one seems the safest bet (it lists the same supported models MSX machines as the one you linked originally), and it's supposed to be made by Panasonic. I'm going to order 2, keep one as a spare (or maybe also revive the 1100FD I have dismantelled, which I never got around to fixing the floppy on, either).

Let me (US?) know if they fit... Id like to get a spare or 2 for my good one and the other...
According to the parts list they are supposed to be 210 millimeters 'around' (or long)... fortunately the EME-273FN I also found on Ebay are an ALMOST-PERFECT fit (AND direct-drive!). The release button is on top and you would need to trim a hole for it on the upper case, but that is small loss for a working FD.... IMO! :D

Amen to that... There's only so much Pheonix BIOS copyright I can take before I get bored and stop trying to power cycle my 1500HD in hopes that the HDD will come back to life. :-D

I actually ended up ordering 2 of the 273s IOT have a spare... Then I got the 1800 with a perfect FD... Still no regrets!

Take a look at the blog I started on mine... I found that the HD was 'stuck in park' and once I got it to move freely it was okay again!
Only problem is you have to open it up and move the actuator... not something to do in a smoke/dust-filled room!

Last edited:
Take a look at the blog I started on mine... I found that the HD was 'stuck in park' and once I got it to move freely it was okay again!
Only problem is you have to open it up and move the actuator... not something to do in a smoke/dust-filled room!

Oh man... You've given me some hope. I have opened drives before, and it is definitely not for the faint at heart. I used to live in a house with a dog, lots of hair floating around... But my new place is a tad bit cleaner. I could always wear an Intel bunny suit.

I also remember some IBM drives, back in the day, that would do the same and you could hold them and swing your arm in a somewhat "frisbee throwing" motion, and then back on the same "line" with a sudden jolt, and they would release from parked position. You had to be really careful because, naturally, once the heads come out of park there's the potential for damage to the platters. The motion had to be as linear as possible to reduce the chances of the heads crashing against the platters.

Maybe I could try such a motion? I was successful with the old IBM drives, back in the day... Perhaps I've still got it in me.

Oh man... You've given me some hope. I have opened drives before, and it is definitely not for the faint at heart. I used to live in a house with a dog, lots of hair floating around... But my new place is a tad bit cleaner. I could always wear an Intel bunny suit.

I also remember some IBM drives, back in the day, that would do the same and you could hold them and swing your arm in a somewhat "frisbee throwing" motion, and then back on the same "line" with a sudden jolt, and they would release from parked position. You had to be really careful because, naturally, once the heads come out of park there's the potential for damage to the platters. The motion had to be as linear as possible to reduce the chances of the heads crashing against the platters.

Maybe I could try such a motion? I was successful with the old IBM drives, back in the day... Perhaps I've still got it in me.

LOL @ the bunny-suit! What we wont go thru for our toys! :p I remember fighting with some MFM drives that wouldnt spin up... a single 'inverted body-slam' into the top of the workbench and they were happy as could be!

Ya got nothin' ta looz... Its dead either way, right?

Ah, those were the days! :chainsaw:

Booted the laptop today and the spacebar actualy works now, go figure.

The last bit that needs fixed to use it as a real laptop is the battery.

The original is a lead acid battery CAT 25-3536 6v 1.8AH lead acid sealed (dimensions are something like 3.75" x 2 1/16" x 1")

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110541580842

6 V
1.3 Ah
L = 3.82”
W = 0.96”
H = 2.22”
0.64 lbs.

So while the new battery has lower Ah the size seems to be usable, anybody else try using a battery like this?

LOL @ the bunny-suit! What we wont go thru for our toys! :p I remember fighting with some MFM drives that wouldnt spin up... a single 'inverted body-slam' into the top of the workbench and they were happy as could be!

Ya got nothin' ta looz... Its dead either way, right?

Ah, those were the days! :chainsaw:

i've never thought of the body slam technique, i just pop the top and move the head arm a nudge, or bang the top on my knee right about where the head are should be, is there a *safe* way to re-lube the head arm?

*forgot to tell it to subscribe to the thread*8)

i've never thought of the body slam technique, i just pop the top and move the head arm a nudge, or bang the top on my knee right about where the head are should be, is there a *safe* way to re-lube the head arm?

*forgot to tell it to subscribe to the thread*8)

NO-NO-NO!!! Those were the days of the 50-pound 10mb Seagate drives... when the heads didnt park themselves and the heads stuck to the platters and they wouldnt spin up....

Back