• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3800 HD Repair/Restoration

The belt from MCM electronics is inconclusive as a replacement. It works, but it's intermittent. It sounds like the belt is slipping. Could just be the drive, but at the moment, I can't recommend that part without further testing.

Hmm belt problems... I know I got that one from ebay a bit pricey but I threw it in and it works perfectly... No hiccups and I never oiled anything...
Of-course I don't think it was in bad shape at all considering it came in its bag and I remember no melted or crumbling belt when I removed it only that it was worn-out and old...
Wish you luck with your drive though Paralel!

Hmm belt problems... I know I got that one from ebay a bit pricey but I threw it in and it works perfectly... No hiccups and I never oiled anything...
Of-course I don't think it was in bad shape at all considering it came in its bag and I remember no melted or crumbling belt when I removed it only that it was worn-out and old...
Wish you luck with your drive though Paralel!

The belt you ordered is going to be my recommendation to anyone that needs one. I spent as much trying to find an alternative and ended up with a less than satisfactory substitute. Despite being expensive, and taking forever to get to you, it seems to be the best solution at the moment.

Yes it was expensive and took long to get here but worked great!

Also I think I have found a monitor keyboard and power supply for the Burroughs!
I just hope everything else is in order with the machine itself. Haven't been able to test it and wont be-able to till I buy the monitor and such.
I'm going to cross my fingers but so far I seem to have had luck with all these machines... Other then those Tandy drives...

Oh also I have a wide range of a collection of older things... I just now realize with the mess of old things. Have old game consoles, old games, old cameras, old laptops, old computers. I've been trying to sort and organize for awhile now... Not so much too many things... Just not enough room... That will need to be sorted out... Luckily we have shelves... Greatest thing to have if you ask me... More shelves = More stuff!

I think I have found a different belt on the MCM site... and after I talk 2 them I will try them for size. If they seem better (more like the 'originals') I will post the part number.

Wish me luck! (I have to attempt to convince them to let me return the 9 I haven't used in favor of 10 'new' ones... )
:D

Last edited:
Yes it was expensive and took long to get here but worked great!

Also I think I have found a monitor keyboard and power supply for the Burroughs!
I just hope everything else is in order with the machine itself. Haven't been able to test it and wont be-able to till I buy the monitor and such.
I'm going to cross my fingers but so far I seem to have had luck with all these machines... Other then those Tandy drives...

Oh also I have a wide range of a collection of older things... I just now realize with the mess of old things. Have old game consoles, old games, old cameras, old laptops, old computers. I've been trying to sort and organize for awhile now... Not so much too many things... Just not enough room... That will need to be sorted out... Luckily we have shelves... Greatest thing to have if you ask me... More shelves = More stuff!

WOW!!!

A 'hoarder in training'!!! :p
I try never to keep any more than I can fit into my car... but so far I have FAILED miserably. :rolleyes:

Hah I've been hoarding for too many years just never knew what I was hoarding and what scale it would have become.
Well I already know I've passed the point of fitting everything in one vehicle UNLESS you count the 31" RV my parents own...
Then I can fit everything :rolleyes:

I think I have found a different belt on the MCM site... and after I talk 2 them I will try them for size. If they seem better (more like the 'originals') I will post the part number.

Wish me luck! (I have to attempt to convince them to let me return the 9 I haven't used in favor of 10 'new' ones... )

Ah, yours is slipping as well?

I just got my Burroughs B25 up and running!
Its running an accounting software on it.
Maybe it has Bill Gates account info on it? :p
If only I had the login info. :rolleyes:
I'll post a full thread about it in the Others section later but yea!

Hey I've got a question for you... With my small knowledge of floppy disks (mainly 5 1/4 in and 8 in though I don't think I'll be using 8 in ones any time soon)
Which 5 1/4 in floppies should I buy? I know there are ss sd, ss dd, ds dd, yada yada... I found someone on ebay who is selling a TON of NOS sealed floppies...
But there are many different kinds having to do with soft sectored and 16 RH things I don't quite know what they mean...
I tried googling about them and I now know what soft/hard sectored is but some of the other things about them I haven't the foggiest clue...
Also is it
Here is what the seller has:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computers-T...=25&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=isellhomeszach
And here is what i was talking about different...

DS,DD,96 TPI,RH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350853112772?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

DS,DD,16 RH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221266400163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

SS,DD,RH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221263446750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I think I will also pick one of these up unless its pointless to?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221266417233?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

So whats the difference between RH / 16 RH / 96 TPI,RH / I've also seen only 96 TPI but it was on HD disks
Also should I buy the DS ones for a lot more or get the 50 SS and get a notcher? I wasn't sure if when you turned a SS into a DS it would be basically the same or if it has the possibility of say the disk not working?
Also I have some DS/DD floppies already but none of them seem to have a second notch... Why not? Shouldn't DS disks have notches?
Also are these ebay listings good prices for 5.25 floppies if not have any suggestions?
Anyway yea since I will start needing 5 1/4 inch floppies I thought I would get but I don't quite know which ones to get. :confused:
Care to educate a 16 year old who's a bit out of their time period here? :rolleyes:

Also I bought something off ebay which should arrive in a few days... I'll be posting a thread about it here in the radio shack area. ;)

Last edited:
The RH may refer to 'hard sectoring'...
A Soft-sector disk has only one index hole, and the formatting assigns the size of the sector onto the disk, while a hard sector has multiple holes that define the start/stop of the sectors.

The rest you have already heard by PM... :rolleyes:

I just bought a used TANDY 3800HD from EBAY. It does power ON and OFF. But the 3.5 disk drive is not working. The 60 mb hard drive is rusted and not working. I have the original owners manual and some 3.5 software. DOS 5.0, Boot Disks 722K and 1.44, Tandy utilities disk and other software. Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for this TANDY computer. Thanks for your time.. DuaneA1965

Back