• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 6000 destroyed in shipping - keep it or refund?

Well I added more photos to the links I posted earlier just so they could have all the angles of the damage. After I escalated the claim they said they had to wait on the seller of the monitors to chime in and add thier info by today.. They never did! I guess they assumed it would go away. They took down thier listings for monitors also.. which doesnt look good when the paypal folks investigate and get no listing to come up.. Clearly shady junkers. Paypal closed in my favor.. so from my perspective nothing lost but time and effort. Im glad for at least that.

I totally get the plastics are brittle, but this was packed with paper and bubble wrap thrown in the box.

I'm not sure what this means. Was it packed very well (no movement, solid foam on the sides, etc.) or was it packed very poorly (less than 2" of bubble wrap, sliding around the box, etc.)?

People need to realize that it is (now) standard practice for shorter delivery drivers to stand on boxes to reach the boxes at the top of the van. If your package can't handle someone standing on it, don't ship it.

I'm not sure what this means. Was it packed very well (no movement, solid foam on the sides, etc.) or was it packed very poorly (less than 2" of bubble wrap, sliding around the box, etc.)?

People need to realize that it is (now) standard practice for shorter delivery drivers to stand on boxes to reach the boxes at the top of the van. If your package can't handle someone standing on it, don't ship it.

That seems like an unrealistic expectation.

Even with a new tightly-packed double-wall box of larger size - say 20" x 20" x 20" - someone stepping on it is going to mess it up.

Maybe it's time for a plywood box insert.

Last edited:
Could we make a sticky post about shipping recommendations?

I could write something up this week to start if no one else jumps on it.

One thing I've not seen talked about much - packing something too tightly can be risky too.

Especially with vintage monitors - hard foam and tightly packed bubble wrap can transfer an impact right to the monitor and cause the tube to break free.

I had that issue with an Apple Monitor III - I'm guessing it was tossed onto a loading dock, landed flat on one side. Box was in great shape, but monitor was a mess.

I switched to double-wall boxes and less-tightly packed bubble wrap. So far so good.

Could we make a sticky post about shipping recommendations?
Nothing sticky yet, but this has been a topic that keeps coming up as of late.

@westveld. What happened to the monitor III? Those have got to be apples most robust monitor as far as repairs. They are the closest thing to being built like a Television set. Unless the tube is broken they are pretty easy to repair.

Nothing sticky yet, but this has been a topic that keeps coming up as of late.

@westveld. What happened to the monitor III? Those have got to be apples most robust monitor as far as repairs. They are the closest thing to being built like a Television set. Unless the tube is broken they are pretty easy to repair.
Oops, I remembered wrong - it was a Apple Monitor II A2M2010 in December 2021.
Tube was broken - possibly an impact broke it free from the plastic mounts.

Oops, I remembered wrong - it was a Apple Monitor II A2M2010 in December 2021.
Tube was broken - possibly an impact broke it free from the plastic mounts.
Yep, those are built completely different with plastic that will shatter if badly packed. I have gotten at least 4 or 5 in the mail litterally SHATTERED from idiot sellers. I was able to save a couple tubes at least. I have repaired the front bezel and pivot bezel using lots of epoxy, sanding and painting on the monitor II. They can be saved. But they can never be shipped again.

I had that issue with an Apple Monitor III - I'm guessing it was tossed onto a loading dock, landed flat on one side. Box was in great shape, but monitor was a mess.

The going recommendation is to remove tubes from monitor housings, and ship them in two separate boxes. The tube should be face down in its box, and preferably protected with instafoam.

Unfortunately, I have no recommendations on how to ship a now-hollow plastic monitor shell safely, short of crating it. I stopped shipping monitors years ago, both sending and receiving, when I saw footage of delivery drivers (mostly UPS) stepping on boxes to reach higher boxes. I only pick up/deliver now.

Back