• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy CM-11 Monitor Question

mrarkus

I got a very nice TL/2 + CM-11 set, however I have an issue - the standard DOS text looks pretty fuzzy. It's right next to a TRS-80 Model 4GA, and the green text is very sharp and clean next to the CM-11. I opened it up and adjusted the focus control, but it was already set at clearest setting. My problem is, I don't know what to expect, maybe too much from this monitor?

The Model 4GA uses a monochrome monitor, which has no discrete phosphor dots, so resolution theoretically can approach infinite. The CM-11 is a color monitor with a rather coarse .041 inch dot pitch. So you'll see some fringing of colors. Have you checked the color convergence on your CM-11? There are monitor test screens available for that.
One of the reasons I stayed with monochrome monitors for a very long time.

The CM11 is a pretty bad monitor, what you are seeing is totally normal. Used to have one with a Tandy 1000RL.

The Model 4GA uses a monochrome monitor, which has no discrete phosphor dots, so resolution theoretically can approach infinite. The CM-11 is a color monitor with a rather coarse .041 inch dot pitch. So you'll see some fringing of colors. Have you checked the color convergence on your CM-11? There are monitor test screens available for that.
One of the reasons I stayed with monochrome monitors for a very long time.
I understand it won't be as clear as the 4GA, it's probably an unfair comparison, i just don't remember CGA being this bad. I'll look into color convergence, although finding a matching monochrome monitor should be on my list...

It's on par with all the other CGA monitors I have. It's head and shoulders better than the Apex and Epson CGA monitors, they're something like 0.6 dot pitch

Back