• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy DWP-230

R Sparks

I have a Tandy Daisy Wheel Printer DWP-230. I heard, in a You Tube comment, that this printer can be used with Windows with a generic driver. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Which version of Windows? Going through the add printer wizard, selecting the port, and then selecting generic/text only driver will give a correct result. The driver has retained the Generic/text only label from at least Windows 3 through Windows 7; I haven't checked on Windows 10 or 11 if the driver is still available.

If your computer doesn't have a parallel port, the connection is more difficult and I will defer to someone with a good understanding of usb to parallel adapters.

Thanks for the help. I think the problem was setting the DIP switches on the back of the printer. Then it was a matter of trying all the possible ports in the set-up until I got the right one. This is a connection to Windows 11. The result: It works fine printing from Notepad. But it has little glitches when working from Apache Open Office.

What type of glitches? The one I can think of is that daisy printers have a non-proportional font and printing is easier if the screen font is also fixed width. IIRC, Courier New in 10 pt would work with the printer set at 12 cpi while 12 pt matches with 10 cpi. Note that full justification of a line will result in extra full spaces which can look very weird so I recommend not using that formatting option.

Still making progress here. I was able to relabel the Generic/text only printer to be DWP. This way it does not get confused with other vintage printers which I am trying to rehabilitate.

When I send a text file from Apache Open Office, the print head backs up a space or two and writes over the last letter of the previous word. That I have not yet solved. Suggestions? As above: the printer works fine when a file is sent from Notepad. So I suspect that it has something to do with the format in Apache.

This is all installed on a Windows 11 machine and running off of a USB port. I tried an old Targus port adapter but windows 11 does not want to recognize the parallel port on the adapter. It does recognize all of the USB ports on the adapter. Hmmmm

One problem which I solved was that the printer was leaving a blank line between lines of print. This was an easy one. I changed the DIP switch from CR+LF to just LF.

Back