• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Model 102 and REX#, First Impressions

Kehvarl

Today I received a REX# for my T102 (amongst other toys I'll go into later), and wanted to give some fist impressions.

Installation was easy:
  • Power Off T102
  • Open Option ROM Slot
  • Install REX# into slot
  • Close Option ROM Slot
  • Power On T102
  • Enter BASIC
  • Run the system command: CALL63012
With the REX# installed and initialized, there are some changes to the system:
  • Y2K Fix: The main screen date now shows 2022 instead of 1922.
  • TSDOS
    • Disk Operating System to access external disk drive (or disk simulator)
  • REXMGR: The Rex Manager program
    • RAM Manager
      • Backup the contents of RAM to any of 26 32K slots in the REX#'s Flash
      • Restore the contents of any RAM backup to active memory
      • Rename any RAM backup
      • File Manager
        • Copy individual files out of a backup into RAM
        • Rename or Kill (Delete) individual files from RAM
      • DeIn: DeInstall/Remove REXMGR from the laptop before removing REX# module
    • ROM Manager (<TAB> to access if in RAM mode)
      • Can copy Option ROM images to the 32K memory slots in the REX# flash storage
      • Can activate any stored Option ROMs for use as if that ROM was installed in your system
      • Comes pre-installed with TSDOS ROM image
After playing around with backing up and restoring my RAM, I decided to dive into Option ROMs. Per some recommendations in the REX Manager user guide, I downloaded a set of validated ROMs, set up LaddieAlpha on a host PC, connected my RS232/NullModem/USB cables, and installed the Ultimate ROM II.

I still have a lot of exploration and learning to figure out how to use the various pieces of ROMWare available for my T102, but it's exciting to have that available to me, and to have the ability to quickly and easily backup the files I create.

The Rex# is a great little gizmo. It really makes the old laptops much more usable. One neat trick I like is that from the menu you can press Control A to access REXMGR instantly.

Enjoy!

J White

Back