• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy TL/2 with XT-IDE - Memory Map Questions

bjt

Experienced Member
Hi all

I've installed an XT-IDE CF card in my TL/2. It works great at the alternate address of D800h, but not at C800h. I presume it's conflicting with the TL/2's built-in 8-bit IDE interface, even though I've disabled the IDE chip using SETUPTL2 /A.

My issue is that I planned to use Dxxx as an EMS page frame, so I'd really like to get the XT-IDE working somewhere in the Cxxx range. Has anyone tried padding the XT-IDE BIOS to put it at CE00h? Will try this and report back.

The memory map of the TL/2 seems very congested. I also tried E000h for the EMS page frame, but it doesn't work. I guess it's conflicting with the DOS ROM. Is it possible to free up any more of the address range above C000h?

C000h - EGA/VGA Video bios
C800h - TL/2 IDE
CE00h - XT-IDE
D000h - EMS page frame
E000h - DOS ROM
F000h - TL/2 BIOS ROM

I ran into the same issue as you a few years ago on my TL/2. Never was able to use the CXXX range for the xt-ide. Not sure why this is, and I can only assume there is a conflict with another reservation.

For anyone looking for this CC00h bios, please look here:

https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/XT-CF-lite_FAQ

Thanks.

FWIW - The new link would be: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?t...-compactflash-adapter-problems-flashing.43563

I think the main issue is that the post has been re-numbered at some point, so the original link points to post #343625, but for some reason it is now thread #43563, and the posts in it are all in the 528k number range. Basically a simple rewrite won't fix this, so I don't think we'll be able to fix this one without manual intervention, and I just don't see us manually filtering back through all the hundreds of thousands of posts to manually correct links like this. Happy to entertain any suggestions anyone else might have on this though, especially if it's some sort of automatic process.

The work around is to take the title from the link (in this case it is: Tandy-1000-SX-with-ISA-CompactFlash-Adapter-problems-flashing) and pasting that into the search box. The results should contain the thread you are looking for.

Back