• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tektronix 4051 / 4052 / 4052A / 4054 / 4054A Program Archives

FastGraphics4051 tape files are now archived

FastGraphics4051 tape files are now archived

I have uploaded all the files I recovered from a FastGraphics4051 tape I found in Bob's Collection at Living Computer Museum+Labs in Seattle to my github archive:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/FastGraphics4051

Since the original program requires a 4051 with FastGraphics ROM Pack - I also uploaded a couple more subfolders in that directory:

HEX - includes the DATA TEXT files captured with RealTerm replacing all the bytes with a pair of HEX text characters. The data files are 7-bit ASCII FastGraphics format which includes all 32 control characters - which cannot be transferred easily over 7-bit ASCII serial.

BASIC - includes my conversions of all the picture files to a BASIC program including HEX data statements - that can be viewed on any 4051/4052/4054 computer or the 4051 web-based emulator without any ROM PACK - although considerably slower speed than with the ROM Pack.

SCREENSHOTS - this subfolder includes screenshots from running each of the BASIC picture programs on the 4051 web-based emulator.

Bump.jpg CheshireCat.jpg DarthVader.jpg DeathStar.jpg Dragon.jpg Grinch.jpg LaserGun.jpg

MickeyMouse.jpg Nurd.jpg R2D2.jpg Snoopy.jpg TekBug.jpg Wizzard.jpg

I also created a README.MD file in that folder with instructions on how to view the picture files with a 4051R12 or 4052R12 Graphics Expansion ROM Pack.

Monty

PS - I don't know who "Michael" is in the Grinch picture - but the Tektronix developer of that tape and FastGraphics ROM Pack (Zetopan) likely knows :)

Last edited:
Tekniques Vol.6 No.4 T1 - 062-6704-00 Documentation found and scanned

Tekniques Vol.6 No.4 T1 - 062-6704-00 Documentation found and scanned

I found the Tekniques Vol 6 No 4 Tape T1 documentation which included the 4052A Assembler documentation in the microfiche collection on VintageTek.org partial inventory list:

https://vintagetek.org/microfiche-scans/

I contacted them about seeing if the three "4050 Application Program" microfiches in their partial inventory included Tekniques Vol 6 No 4 T1 documentation - and they found it - and scanned it with their new scanner.

The complete scan of that entire set of documentation for all 17 programs for that tape is now posted on the TekWiki "4050" webpage: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/4050

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/e/e1/Tekniques_vol6_no4 T1 062-6704-00.pdf

I have already posted all the program files from this tape on my github repository for Tektronix 4050 Program Files in this folder:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol6No4-T1

This folder also includes my scan of the Abstracts of the 17 programs on this tape.

Monty

Last edited:
Tektronix 4050 RPN Calculator Program

Tektronix 4050 RPN Calculator Program

I have just uploaded a new program to my Tektronix 4050 program archive site - an RPM Calculator program:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/RPN_Hand_Calculator

I typed this program in from a Tektronix Application Library listing I received from Al Kossow - thanks Al!!

The program title is "Hand Calculator" and it is Tektronix 4050 Application Library number 51/00-6001-00, and the author was "Brian Diehm".

I scanned the instructions and posted them in the folder with the program.

I also created a user definable key overlay image and posted it in that folder.

The program runs on my 4054A and Dave Robert's (and Jon B Stanley's) 4051 web-browser based Emulator:
https://github.com/jonbstanley/Tek405xEmulator

I also tried it on Brad Srebnik's 4051 Simulator - but the current version cannot handle the % sign. Brad reports that he has a newer version that can run this program too.

The developer decided to completely map 40 calculator keys (which included shifted keys) to the ten Tektronix 4050 user definable keys - and extended the number of commands to 40 by defining Shift-UDK5 to get an additional 20 keys.

Here is a picture of the UDK overlay I created - from the list of keys on page 22 of the instructions.
I color coded the second set of 20 keys in GREEN.

Hand_Calculator_RPN_Overlay.jpg

Monty

Inventory of Living Computer Museum Tektronix 4050 collection of docs/tapes/disks

Inventory of Living Computer Museum Tektronix 4050 collection of docs/tapes/disks

I have been remiss in posting my spreadsheet of the inventory of Bob Rosenbloom's donation to LCM of dozens of boxes of Tektronix 4050 manuals / tapes / and floppy disks.

Here is the link to my spreadsheet inventory of that collection on my 4050 Program Archives site:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/BobRosenbloomTekCollectionInventory-Oct15_2018.xlsx

I was only able to inventory 35 boxes in one day. There are dozens more boxes that contain 4050 tapes that have not been inventoried.

Anyone in the Seattle area that would be able to inventory the boxes with tapes?

Most of the tapes are wrapped with printouts listing the files inside.

Ones that I think are the most valuable are the ones with printed Tektronix labels - like Tekniques programs or Tektronix software tapes.

In addition the LCM has a couple of Tektronix 4051 computers that are untested. They could put a computer on exhibit if someone would donate some time to see if it worked - and fix it if it doesn't.

Monty

Air Defense 4051 Game

Air Defense 4051 Game

After extensive internet searching - I found a treasure trove collection of 187 Tektronix 4050 program documents - most in original Tektronix binders with tapes and some with floppy disks. This collection was in 34 book boxes, with another 20 or so boxes - each containing 70 to 100 tapes!

I just finished replacing the broken drive belts and posting the recovered files from four tapes that I have on loan from the museum on my github archive in the following folders:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol6No1-T1

[/U]

Monty

Full documentation for one of the Tekniques tapes: Vol6 No1 Tape T1 has just been scanned by the Living Computer Museum at my request.

I have created a new folder - including the complete documentation.

Location of the new folder:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/Tekniques_Vol6_No1

I also decided to leave the file captures unedited - as the embedded control characters are needed to run on actual 4051 / 4052 / 4054 computers. The older archive directory includes files edited to be compatible with the 4051 web browser based emulator.

It certainly helps to have the full documentation - some of these programs must be copied to a different tape or 8 inch floppy - and that process is described in the front of the document.

I have also renamed all the files in this folder to be more descriptive, based on the documentation - not just the labels on the tape file headers.

I also noted that the FILE1 Menu program was not recovered - and was damaged by the old drive belt removing the oxide from the tape when I replaced the drive belt :(

Also - my tape file recovery process last fall did NOT capture the binary data files on the tape - and these are noted in my file names.

The last program on the tape is an Air Defense game - designed as a simulator for the Navy to measure response time of the missile operators. I also included a document I found on the web by the authors of the "Air Defense" game. This game was at the end of that tape - but not listed in the abstract I had posted, but fully documented in the complete PDF file.

Here is the abstract of Air Defense from the complete documentation:

The Air Defense Game is an interactive scenario in which the player defends his ship by launching missiles against incoming enemy targets. The 4050 simulates a radar screen with the player's ship at the center and enemy raids entering from the periphery.

Difficulty level is selected by menu, and a summary of the player's performance (including a skill rating) is displayed after each engagement. Performance data are stored in binary files. An off-line analysis program assesses the performance in greater detail

Here is a picture of the Game screen from the documentation:

attachment.php

I am interested in running the Air Defense game - but it requires a Micro Works FP-51 ROM PACK. I cannot find any documentation for that ROM Pack on the web, although I did find some info on Micro Works, including some 6800 products for the SWPTC 6800.

There are 15 CALLs to this ROM Pack in the Air Defense program - only two CALLs have parameters.

Code:
Line 120: 940 CALL "FLASH"
	Line 137: 1110 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 145: 1190 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 176: 1500 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 181: 1550 CALL "DFLASH",X,Y
	Line 210: 1840 CALL "FLASH"
	Line 226: 2000 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 231: 2050 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 239: 2130 CALL "XFLASH"
	Line 242: 2160 CALL "DFLASH",K3,L3
	Line 246: 2200 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 254: 2280 CALL "FLASH"
	Line 266: 2400 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 308: 2820 CALL "MFLASH"
	Line 372: 3460 CALL "MFLASH"

The second puzzle in understanding the program is FNX function calls - there is no "DEF FN" statement in the program defining that call. I can only imagine the FP-51 ROM Pack provides the definition.

Code:
Line 138: 1120 A1=FNX(4)
	Line 139: 1130 A8=FNX(1)+9
	Line 140: 1140 W=FNX(1)
	Line 177: 1510 X=SIN(FNX(3.6))*Z0+T7
	Line 178: 1520 Y=COS(FNX(3.6))*Z0+50
	Line 227: 2010 F3=(2*X9-1)*(SIN(FNX(4))*P3+T7)
	Line 228: 2020 G3=COS(FNX(4))*P3+50

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what this ROM Pack does.

The Greitzer article I posted in the folder indicates:

The program is written in extended BASIC (Tektronix, 1976) for the 4051 desktop computer with 32K bytes of memory. The peripheral FP-51 ROM pack[SUP]1[/SUP] is required for high-speed graphic and mathematical operations.

The quote has a note 1. with MicroWorks, P.O. Box 1110, Del Mar, California 92014.

I had more luck with searching for "Micro Works" instead - but no luck in finding anything about the FP-51 ROM Pack.

Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 T2 files uploaded - this time with full documentation

Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 T2 files uploaded - this time with full documentation

I just received another Tektronix Tekniques scan from the Living Computer Museum - this time for the Volume 7 Number 4 - Tape T2 complete documentation.

Since my previous archive of this tape last year had all the programs edited to be compatible with the 405x emulator - I once again went back to my original captured files - and created a new folder compatible with the actual 4051/4052/4054 computers at:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/Tekniques_Vol7_No4_Tape_T2

I also used the complete documentation scan to label all the files - including overlay files for some programs.

This documentation scan is completely different that the partial scan of the 4051 Assembler that I posted in the 4051 Assembler folder and may be a bit clearer on the ROM entry points as it is a scan of the original documentation, where the Assembler scan was from microfiche.

One of the other interesting programs on this tape is the TM5000 Instrument Check program. I actually have a TM5000 and several of the instruments and will try out this program.

General Utilities Tape 1 Volume 1 - new recovered files

General Utilities Tape 1 Volume 1 - new recovered files

I can't read the first files on my General Utilities tape, but I got a second copy and did a complete tape dump of all the files including headers and SECRET files :)

posted on my github repository in this folder:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/GeneralUtilities_Tape1_No27

Here is a README.md I created describing the files in this folder:

attachment.php

I also renamed all the ASCII programs from the file header information captured in the tapedump.

Too bad we haven't figured out the SECRET encryption scheme - the SECRET programs on this tape are for the BASIC editor. Maybe they used the CALL "EXEC" routine of the 4051.

You can see interesting artifacts in the tapedump file - leftover remnants of previous recordings, whole empty file blocks with the header, etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Tektronix 4052/4054 - CAD Drafting Program

Tektronix 4052/4054 - CAD Drafting Program

I just received five 8 inch Tektronix 4050 program disks and four DC300 program tapes from the Living Computer Museum in Seattle - under loan agreement - to recover and post the programs for everyone from my github repository.

There are duplicates of the first two disks - and the third disk with no label only has small 3KB binary files. From the filenames - I suspect these small files are just the label data for various application library tapes and disks - no programs :(
The tapes include "Programming Aids - T1" and "Programming Aids - T2". One of the programs I'm interested in on those tapes is a FORTRAN to Tek 4050 BASIC converter program.

attachment.php
attachment.php

First I wanted to look at the Application Library Floppy Disk titled "CAD D1"

Here is the first page of the abstract for the CAD D1:

attachment.php

I put the CAD D1 floppy disk into my 4907 File Manager, turned on my 4054A (which has 64MB of RAM), initialized the File Manager with the SETTIM command, mounted disk 0 and then ran the Drafting Program:

Code:
OLD "@DRAFTING/PROGRAM"

then loaded the demo file with:

PDB DEMO

And got this screen - with a small prompt ">" on the left side of the screen:

attachment.php

I will be capturing the program and data files and posting them to my github repository later today in a new folder, along with the full documentation scanned by the Living Computer Museum.

I have just created a new folder on my Tektronix 4050 Program github repository for the CAD_D1 files, including the abstract for the programs on this disk and the full user documentation for all the programs.

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/CAD_D1

The files captured so far are from the Drafting program. I haven't quite figured out how to capture the PDB example files yet.

I also created a SCREENSHOT folder for CAD_D1 and uploaded the picture in my last post and BARLV - which is an engineering drawing of two aluminum bars.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Tekniques Vol. 7 No. 1 Disk D1 062-6715-01 now posted on my github repository

Tekniques Vol. 7 No. 1 Disk D1 062-6715-01 now posted on my github repository

I have just uploaded my complete capture of the Tekniques Vol. 7 No. 1 Disk D1 062-6715-01 that I received on loan from the Living Computers Museum in Seattle - to my Tektronix 4050 github repository for programs.

This is my first recovery and post of a Tektronix 4050 floppy disk program!

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/TekniquesVol7No1-D1

My post includes the BASIC program files - converted from floppy disk binary program images into ASCII by "OLD"ing each of the programs into my 4054A, then SAVE@40: to send the program to my attached PC.

Also included is a complete backup of the floppy disk to tape - using a 4907 to Tape BACKUP program that is on this disk!

I then used my Complete Tape Backup to PC program - which requires the TransEra SuperUtilities ROM pack to do tape sector by sector reads - convert binary to ASCII HEX characters, and includes the tape file headers.
The resulting "dump" file is also in this folder, along with the Museum's scan of the original documentation, and I included the two page abstract of all the programs from that Tekniques newsletter.

Enjoy!

Tektronix 4050 Series Application Library ---- CAD_D1 062-5977-01

Tektronix 4050 Series Application Library ---- CAD_D1 062-5977-01

Now I have uploaded the second Tektronix floppy disk I got from the Museum: This time the entire contents of the CAD Disk D1.

Here is a link to that folder on my Tektronix 4050 Program repository on github:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/CAD_D1

This floppy disk took two tapes for the BACKUP - so there are two tape dump files posted in this folder.

I also posted the ASCII versions of the programs, and the complete documentation.

Enjoy!

New Upload - Tektronix 4050 - Programming Aids T1 062-5971-01

New Upload - Tektronix 4050 - Programming Aids T1 062-5971-01

I had to modify my tape dump program to properly recover all the files on this tape from the Living Computers Museum.
Previous tapes were ok - because the tape file size was MARKed at least one 256 byte block longer than needed.
This tape had most of the files marked only big enough to save the data- so the last couple of program lines weren't written to tape by my tape dump program.
The bug I fixed was to always write the last block of data in a file before opening the next one.

I found this issue when I tried to run the FORTRAN to BASIC converter program on this tape. I will be separately posting my experience with that program after I create the sample FORTRAN program to try to convert. This program requires the external 4924 tape drive, although last night I found a Tekniques "Program Update" indicating how to modify that program to run using only the internal tape drive.

Here is the link to the new Programming Aids Tape T1 folder on my Tektronix 4050 program github repository:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/Programming_Aids_T1_062-5971-01

This time I posted not only the BASIC program files but also my ASCII HEX encoding of the Binary Data files.
Also includes complete user documentation scans done by the Living Computers Museum.

Here is a screenshot of the MENU program on this tape:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Tektronix 4051 (only) Music Program

Tektronix 4051 (only) Music Program

This program was on one of the old tapes that I recovered and uses the 4051 BASIC CALL "EXEC" command to play music in Motorola 6800 assembly code on the internal speaker.

This program READs the selected music DATA statements into a string variable and then passes that string along with the assembly program to play music.

The 4052 and 4054 computer BASIC did not include the CALL "EXEC" command as they were not binary compatible with the 6800.

The 4052A and 4054A computer BASIC added a slightly different CALL "EXEC" command, and the A-series Assembly program I already posted can assemble source programs that run on only 4052A and 4054A computers :(

Another way to play music on the 4052/4054 and 4052A/4054A is with the Graphics Enhancement ROM Pack which also includes the ability to play MUSIC on the internal speaker as described in my post on that ROM pack.

Here is a screenshot of the 405x Emulator running the program - although the emulator does not emulate the 4051 speaker and just plays "beep" tones.

So this program will only play music on the 4051 computer.
Here is the github link to the MUSIC program files and DAT files:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/4051-MUSIC

attachment.php

Last edited:
New uploads - 4050R12 Graphics Enhancement Demo Tape files!

New uploads - 4050R12 Graphics Enhancement Demo Tape files!

I just added the complete set of ASCII programs and ASCII data files from the 4050R12 Graphics Enhancement Demo Tape to my github site:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/4050R12%20Graphics%20Enhancement%20Demo

This folder had some standalone BASIC programs I wrote to demonstrate a couple of the files - that can run on any 4050 including the 405x Emulator.

However - the files that start with a number will require the 4050R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM cartridge.

---

The last file on that tape is a different MUSIC program than the one for the 4051 - this program runs on a 4051, 4052 or 4054 that has the correct 4051 or 4052/4054 R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM Pack.

I believe the music data statements may be compatible with the 4051 CALL "EXEC" version of the MUSIC program - but I don't have a 4051 to test that theory.

This MUSIC program does include a lot more music tunes - including a lot of Christmas tunes!

Here is a list of the Music tunes embedded in this program:

"FULL MUSICAL SCALE"
"FRENCH NATIONAL ANTHEM "
"WELLINGTON'S VICTORY"
"JESU, JOY OF MANS DESIRING"
"MY HIELAND LASSIE"
"RAGHUPATI (HINDU SONG)"
"J.S.BACH'S TWO PART NUMBER FOUR"
"J.S.BACH'S GOLDBERG NUMBER 8"
"J.S.BACH'S TOCCATA NUMBER 6"
"ARMY SONG (CAISSON SONG)"
"STAR-SPANGLED BANNER"
"SKIP TO MY LOU"
"THIS OLD MAN"
"JINGLE BELLS"
"SILENT NIGHT"
"ANGELS WE HAVE HEARD ON HIGH"
"WHAT CHILD IS THIS?"
"JOY TO THE WORLD"
"OH COME OH COME EMMANUEL"
"OH LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM"
"OH COME ALL YE FAITHFUL"
"IT CAME UPON A MIDNIGHT CLEAR"
"THE FIRST NOEL"
"HARK THE HERALD ANGELS SING"
"WE THREE KINGS"
"DECK THE HALLS"
"AWAY IN A MANGER"
"GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN"

Enjoy!

I have found a way to have a universal file format that works with both the 405x emulator AND the 4051/4052/4054 computers.

The emulator was designed to handle 4051 programs that used the Tektronix BASIC control characters in PRINT statements, where the program was captured using the serial interface.

These captured programs - including all my early captures replaced ASCII control characters (ASCII values less than 32) with a letter followed by the backspace ASCII character followed by underscore character.
When this sequence is detected by the 405x emulator - it replaces those three characters with the control character ASCII value of the letter minus 64.

My new capture technique captures all the original control characters.

However - if the original program includes the linefeed control character (used in the PRINT statement to produce a new line), text editor programs like Notepad++ put the LF character on a new line and attempting to "OLD" that program into memory stops at the first linefeed.

My solution is to use Notepad++ to replace the LF control character with the US control character which also causes Tektronix BASIC to print a new line. I saw the use of US characters instead of LF control characters in several of the latest programs I recovered.

I plan to go through my entire set of recovered 4050 programs on github and change them to the universal format instead of having to save two different formats for each program - one for the 405x emulator and a separate one for the actual computers.

Tektronix 4050 - STAR TREK Game with Graphics!!

Tektronix 4050 - STAR TREK Game with Graphics!!

As I have been looking at my old Tektronix 4050 file captures - I found one of my tape captures with the file header title of "STARTREK", marked file size of 59904 bytes, and a tape label of "4907 backup"

I previously posted this file almost exactly one year ago on my Tektronix 4050 program repository in the Games folder as "StarTrek-UDK-Required", because the program only worked with the User Definable keys.

I spent some time playing it with the 405x emulator and it had some misspellings and playability issues.

I began editing this program to correct the misspellings, playability issues AND to add the ability to select UDK or single character command keys.
I also added a small menu with all the UDKs and Command characters (underlined characters in the menu), and then loaded the program into my 4054A - and of course, the program failed to load because of the Control Character, backspace, underscore that the emulator handled to play the programs previously recovered over serial port.

I removed all those and replaced them with the Tek BASIC control characters and had a blast playing the game on the big 19" screen.

I then decided to 'fix' the emulator to run the same "universal" file as the computers - and was successful by only commenting out a couple of lines of javascript code in the main HTML file.

I have posted my updated "UNIVERSAL" emulator file on my github site:
https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tek405xEmulator

And posted the updated Star Trek Graphics in universal format in the Games folder on my repository:
https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/blob/master/Games/StarTrekGraphics4050.BAS

Here are some UNIVERSAL emulator screenshots of the updated game:

attachment.php

You can see the one letter text commands in the next screenshot. Tek BASIC defaults to handling upper or lower case characters as equals by default.

attachment.php

My fixes to the program included making sure the text stayed on the left side of the screen and didn't interfere with the Short Range and Long Range scans.

attachment.php

I really like the graphical Galaxy chart, that even shows the progress of your ship:

attachment.php

Here is a photo taken on my 4054A running the program:

attachment.php

Here is my progress on the 4054A - I actually won the this game:

attachment.php

Next, I want to try to show the 'track' of the phaser and torpedo shots at the Klingons.
I would like to do that with refresh graphics - although that might not be compatible with the 4051 and 4052 computers.

Enjoy!! I'm having fun!!

Hi Monty,

>>> Enjoy!! I'm having fun!!

I can see you are :)!

I will have to give this a go when I get some spare time - probably next year :-(!

Dave

Hi Monty,

>>> Enjoy!! I'm having fun!!

I can see you are :)!

I will have to give this a go when I get some spare time - probably next year :-(!

Dave

Dave,

Good to hear from you again!

I'll just keep plugging along, recovering more programs and having fun running them!

Monty

Back