• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tektronix 4052/4054 Multifunction modules available.

Just looked at my backpack documentation : bsx l/r are interchanged between the communications backpack and the firmware backpack. That is why the expander shows up in the wrong slots.....Clearly an implementation error from Tektronix.

Jos,

Thanks - that matches my test results.

You may want to put a note about that address swap of the RS-232 Printer Interface in your MFM document.

Monty

@jdreesen, I think we may have an RTC interrupt problem on your Tektronix 4052/4054 Multifunction Module.

I don't remember trying the TransEra 741-RTC test program on your MFM module.

Here is the listing for the test program:
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/transera-741-rtc-real-time-clock-for-tektronix-4052-4054.70629/post-70629

The original TransEra 741-RTC ROM Pack passes all the tests in the test program.
For the 1 second timer interrupt test I see the program print an asterisk every second for 10 seconds, then the next test starts.

On the MFM, the tests work until the 1 second timer interrupt - and the program hangs until I cycle power (the BREAK key does not stop the program hang).

Your MFM schematic shows both the ACIA and RTC /irq signals are wire-ORed to the card-edge /irq signal and you also have R10 a 10K resistor pullup to Vcc.

Is there a chance the RTC can't share the /irq with the ACIA?
Answer is no - I just unplugged the ACIA from both your prototype MFM you sent me and the one that I assembled - and they both still hang on the timer interrupt test.

Can you try the RTC test program on your MFM?

Last edited:
Testing update.

1. I plugged the MFM in my 4052 and tried the RTC test program - and when it hung on the timer interrupt test I pressed BREAK once and after several seconds saw a BASIC message that the program was interrupted. Weird thing about this message was it printed very slowly on the display. When I tried typing anything - BASIC was still very slow to print to the display or run any command. In addition the cursor blink took seconds to blink. When I typed INIT, everything returned to normal! I then retested in my 4054A and single BREAK did NOT behave like the 4052. I attribute this to the completely different BASIC ROM code. My conclusion for this test was the interrupt software never saw what it was looking for - and in the case of the 4052 that interrupt software was still running in the background until I ran the INIT command.
  2. I then decided to test whether the RTC ROM actually supported being located in a 4050E01 ROM Expander slot which implies a different bankswitch register setting compared to being located in the left or right slots of the standard ROM backpack. Answer - yes, the original TransEra 741-RTC ROM Pack supports being in any 4050E01 ROM expander slot and the ROM expander being plugged into left or right backpack slots.

Now I wonder whether the difference between the TransEra 741-RTC hardware for the short timing interval versus the MFM use of a 74LS590 could be the source of the problem.

Jos, can you post the schematic you created for the TransEra 741-RTC?

I appended the (partial !) schematic I created. IRQ is directly connected to the RTC chip only. Maybe you can check on you real Transera module if that is indeed the case. Then we will need to check if there are differences in IRQ behaviour between the Transera RTC chip and the one I used ( which has better availability and much better battery interface.)

Attachments

• Transera_RTC.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 8
Jos,

My apologies - I have my MFM build and the assembled MFM you sent me both running the RTC test program successfully!

I went back through my notes, emails and finally found the answer I posted in this thread on Sept 27, 2020. I did have the RTCTEST program running back then:
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/tektronix-4052-4054-multifunction-modules-available.76192/post-951075

The solution is to use your TEKMFM0903.JED file.

When I reprogrammed my Lattice 22V10 GALs with that JED file - the timer interrupt and other interrupt tests worked - just like they did in my post!

My notes showed that I had tried to create files to assemble your 0903 JED file a couple of weeks after my post - and I must have reprogrammed my 22V10 with my JED file which did NOT verify as the same as your JED file.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Monty

I removed the labels from one of my Tektronix 4051 ROM Packs and created and printed these labels for my assembly of @jdreesen's design - Multifunction ROM Pack. This assembly did not include the Tektronix RS-232 Printer ROM Pack hardware - or I would have had to cut a hole in the top of the ROM Pack cartridge for the DB-9 connector.

This MFM ROM Pack can hold up to 8 4052/4054 ROM images as it emulates the 8-slot Tektronix 4050E01 ROM Expander plus the board layout supports the TransEra 741-RTC Real-Time-Clock hardware and the Tektronix RS-232 Printer hardware.

The four ROMs that I programmed in the UV-erasable EPROM are ones that are used in programs I currently have in my GPIB Flash Drive image.

Thank you Jos for your MFM design!

My MFM Labels-small.jpg

Hi everyone, long time no hear and sorry for reviving this thread. I've been absent from all this stuff due to Job / RealLife[tm] priorities. Haven't done much with my 4052 either, tho it was still working when I last checked around Xmas. (Big thanks again to Jos for the Diags ROMpack!)

I'm interested in Jos' MFM and was wondering:
  • if prefab PCBs are still available (my Data I/O can handle 27C010s but not GALs, so I would also need the latter preprogrammed)
  • what the development status of the aforementioned V2 is (if still planned).
Would appreciate any updates. I have an unused 4907 File Manager ROMpack I could use as shell for the MFM as Monty has done (I have the 4052 backpack with serial option, so don't need that on the MFM).

Thanks and best regards,

--Roland

I used @glitch DS12885 clock module replacement in my MFM in the photo above:
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/gw-12887-1-a-ds1287-ds12887-et-al-replacement.60403/

https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw-12887-1-ds12887-rtc-replacement-module/

It worked fine in my MFM and fit in the ROM case.

I like the replaceable battery.

I've posted the 4052 TransEra 741-RTC ROM and manual on my github repository:

Hi Jos, hi Monty,

I now assembled my MFM and it appears to work. I get the message that the R14 isn't compatible with the 4052 (at least not with my v5.1 firmware), which I understand is expected, followed by the usual prompt. But when I boot with the RTC battery installed, I'm stuck on a password prompt. This is documented in the Transera 741 manual, but I see no way to reset the RTC RAM to a sane state. Did anybody else run in to this?

Btw, I erroneously installed the "slow" option components (trannie, diode), as I found the info after the fact. I suppose I could desolder them again, not sure if they make a diff tho.

Thanks again for your support, and to Jos in particular for making the MFM available to us!

--Roland

Hi Jos, hi Monty,

I now assembled my MFM and it appears to work. I get the message that the R14 isn't compatible with the 4052 (at least not with my v5.1 firmware), which I understand is expected, followed by the usual prompt. But when I boot with the RTC battery installed, I'm stuck on a password prompt. This is documented in the Transera 741 manual, but I see no way to reset the RTC RAM to a sane state. Did anybody else run in to this?

Btw, I erroneously installed the "slow" option components (trannie, diode), as I found the info after the fact. I suppose I could desolder them again, not sure if they make a diff tho.

Thanks again for your support, and to Jos in particular for making the MFM available to us!

--Roland
The R14 GPIB Enhancement ROM Pack error on power up is bogus - and I believe due to an error in that ROM Pack which is looking for the version of the BASIC ROM. Our 4052s have the latest ROMs. Someone clever could probably find the error in the ROM Pack and give us an updated binary file :biggrin:

Try this command after your 4052 power up:

CALL "HEXDEC","F078",T
T

T should return 61,560

You can also now get the CALL "VLIST" command from that ROM Pack:

CALL "VLIST"

See my 4052 screenshot below:

4052 R14 CALL VLIST.jpg

I use the R14 HEXDEC and DECHEX calls in several of my programs.

Full manual for this

070-4316-01_4050R14_GPIB_Enhancement_Manual

and the R14 quick ref guide are posted with the binary images in my github repo for Tektronix 4051/4052/4054 programs:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/tree/master/4052_ROM_Pack_Firmware/4052%20GPIB%20Enhancement%20-00

I think the next option you need for your 4052 is my Tek 4050 GPIB Flash Drive :biggrin:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4050-GPIB-Flash-Drive

You can either build one from the BOM including link to PCB from Oshpark and instructions in my Flash Drive User Guide - or PM me about getting an assembled Flash Drive.

Hi Jos, hi Monty,

--Roland
With regard to your MFM RTC power-up password issue - lets try the command in the RTC manual page 5-5, after powering up with the RTC battery removed. The RTC will then be powered by the +5V system power.

Code:
CALL "!SETPS"

This should clear the password.

I would also then clear the power up string:

Code:
CALL "!SETPU"

Now power off the 4052, reconnect the RTC battery and power on the 4052.

There should not be a password prompt and the power up string commands will be cleared.

Hi Monty,

thanks for the hints, I'd only skimmed the docs so far, wasn't aware the R14 pack offered hex-dec conversion -- which is always useful.

As a matter of fact, I never get a working prompt when booting with the RTC battery installed. Instead I get a crazy CAL"!*@&#^" followed by a password prompt (initially invisible, as shown below, revealed only after a keypress). I expect this is the residual powerup string in the RTC CMOS. Suprisingly, it persists after battery changes.

20230714_004259.jpg

Thanks for the hint about the !SETPU and !SETPS commands. Will give them a go. I saw those in the RTC docs last night and wondered how that would persist without an installed battery. But given the startup string above, the RTC does indeed appear to have some inbuilt persistence. (Inbuilt capacitance?)

Will get back to you on that ASAP. Many thanks!

--Roland

Which RTC chip did you use ?

"Please contact the local Tektronix service center" In 2023, that would be Monty !

Jos

Which RTC chip did you use ?

"Please contact the local Tektronix service center" In 2023, that would be Monty !

Jos

Hi Jos,

yeah, you beat me to that one. ;^)
I used the DS12885 you sent me, which I understand is a DS12887 without internal battery. I connected the battery as provided on the PCB.

I can confirm that Monty's R14 calls (HEXDEC, VLIST) work. No luck with the RTC tho; resetting the powerup string and password and reinstalling the battery yields no change; still getting the garbage string followed by the password prompt. Also, !SETTIME without battery hangs the 4052...

I assume this has nothing to do with the SLOW components I overzealously installed. Not really sure what else I did differently.

Bit stumped now...

--Roland

The first batch of DS12885 I received were fakes. Maybe I've let one of those slip through. I'll send you another one.

The first batch of DS12885 I received were fakes. Maybe I've let one of those slip through. I'll send you another one.

Thx, Jos.

No idea how to spot fakes, though I did notice the DS12885 labelling is rather indistinct compared to that of the other chips. Not sure if that's anything to go by, tho. I remember Dallas chips as having a cool and instantly recognisable clock symbol next to the DS logo, but apparently they've dropped all that for simpler markings.

20230713_212242a.jpg

Just to rule out the obvious, I'll still check the pins for continuity, as this was one of the rare occasions when I used ROHS solder. That said, the solder work is pretty clean if I may say so. ;^)

Thanks again and have a good week,

--Roland

Back